Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gasification boilers

Options
JW_7
JW_7 Member Posts: 1
I have install over 20 wood gasifiation boiler since last year from 1 million btu's to 100,000 btu's and must say
That Econoburn boilers are best. Yesterday took in 1 500,000 and 3 smaller ones and waiting on 12 more that are in production. Must say Alternative Engery's Econoburn Boilers are the best and the factory services is 2nd to none

Comments

• kpc_31
    kpc_31 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    are a wood boilers..

gasification boilers? If not other than Tarm what are some good brands... there is a lot of "strange marketing on the web" I
  • Chris S
    Chris S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    wood boilers

Do some reading on hearth.com, in the boiler room.
    EKO, econoburn, Tarm Greenwood etc etc are all discussed there. Lots of great info. And no, not all wood burners are gasifiers
    Chris

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    Not all are gasification

Gasification is a process whereby the wood is "cooked" to a point where the gasses and smoke are emitted and then burned via the injection of high temperature oxygen bearing air into a special "heat chamber". This area of the boiler is made to hold heat in rather than transfer it to the fluid. The actual heat transfer occurs in other areas of the boiler that are made for that purpose. Econburn's website has a good little video that shows what and how it happens. Typically, a gasification boiler will deliver better efficiency and far less pollution than a non-gasification unit will. Smoke = wasted BTU's.

www.alternativefuelboilers.com
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    JW

Are you using any kind of additional storage or buffer tank on any of those jobs? If so, what?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,218
    Options
    Quite a difference

in performance difference between gasification and non. I have installed numerous brands of both styles.

On the gasification side I have installed Tarm, PK Pyro, Atmos, EKO Vimar, and one pellet gasification style. On several jobs, including my own the gasification style replaced non gasification brands. My EKO replaced an older Royall, both pressurized indoor installation.

Without a doubt the gasification units burn cleaner, hotter, and consume less wood doing so.

Like any high efficiency device they do require more attention. The wood needs to be dry, no green or wet wood allowed. Generally they have smaller fireboxes requiring smaller wood size. Cleaning is important to keep HX at it's best.

Buffer tanks are a must, in my opinion. Unless you can standby all day and night to stoke them or keep a consistent load on them.

Gasification units seem to be much higher quality steel both in thickness and grade. All the brands mentioned above have high quality welds, assembly, and sheetmetal jacketing. Most gasifiers have some sort of microprocessor control, often with OD reset, variable speed blower control and overheat protection means.

Of course price, and weight :) go up considerably, compared to tin drum OWF's.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kpc_31
    kpc_31 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks

i will look into them for my customer. Do they have one that has a gas burner to start the process of burning then will shut off after the wood gets going?
    kpc
This discussion has been closed.