Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

dry base boilers

Options
Bruce M_2
Bruce M_2 Member Posts: 123
83% AFUE. Not made in New York despite the name. Made in Pennsylvania and owned by Burnham Holdings. Low initial price is the only benefit. With the current price of oil you need to think about "life-cycle" cost.

Comments

• jim walsh_2
    jim walsh_2 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    dry base boilers

Looking for feedback on New Yorker APU oil-fired dry base hot water boilers. Any experience with these- good, bad or otherwise would be appreciated
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    I Don't

believe a less efficient boiler can be purchased today! The design is obsolete

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • jim walsh_2
    jim walsh_2 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    dry base boilers

Thanks to all who responded to my post regarding New Yorker oil-fired dry base boilers. I was more interested, however, in getting responses from contractors who have installed these boilers. I am well aware of their efficiency ratings, but up-front cost is a major issue in this particular case. Anyone who suggests that I am not a "conscientous" heating contractor because I am considering using this equipment simply doesn't know what he is talking about. If this were an ideal world, everyone would be able to afford the very best, and most efficient heating equipment available to them. I'm sorry to be the one to break the news, but it's not a perfect world. Sometimes we have to settle for something that's not as efficient to offset the initial cost. Thanks anyway.
  • bill_97
    bill_97 Member Posts: 172
    Options
    I agree with you James

We have options for good , better and best for oil boilers we sell . This ain't a perfect world and sometimes people can't even afford the dry based steel boiler when their old one craps out .

The block itself has more weight to it than similar steel boilers . The base is the same as the Burnham RSA series . In my opinion , it performs just as well as the Burnham RSA , but not as well as a Thermo-Dynamics S series .
  • Leo_15
    Leo_15 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    James

One thing to think of is the labor is basically the same for a dry base or a wet base boiler. Given that, the main price difference is the price of the boiler. For the difference and the number of years it will probably be in service is it worth it? Oil prices may go down but they may go back up too. If the person isn't financially stable can they go the long haul with the oil prices? I am with an oil company but I feel if we save as much for the customer as we can they will remain loyal rather than leaving and we have nothing. I didn't see anyone insulting you they just gave their opinions as you asked for.

Leo
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    A t

$4.50/gallon,anything less than the most efficient system you can afford is foolish.How much more is a CI pin boiler?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Bruce M_2
    Bruce M_2 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Habitat for Humanity

It is the poor and economically disadvantaged that are most in need of energy efficiency. Habitat for Humanity (HFH) has made energy efficiency a basic foundation of their construction. Initial cost will mean nothing if the occupants cannot afford fuel. All too often low "initial cost" means the contractor is trying to save money and very often that cost savings is not passed on to the home occupants.
This discussion has been closed.