Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

third floor heat in dorchester, ma (pronounced dahhh-chest-ahh)

Options
tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
If not, I would use it as a chase and pull up insulated pex w/ barrier and control wiring and pipe a zone. This is quite simple and a good solutioh as long as chimney is no longer used as a fuse.
If still in use, of cours other option needed. I have used the Rinnai w/ plate heat exchanger for non potable and then use the potable also. Not my favorite idea but it worked for a guest cottage at an estate I was working on. Pretty simple also but the 1st option best. PS, here if we use a on demand like this, we must also use the potable hot water also as they are rated for heating and hot water not for one or the other. just a footnote. Tim

Comments

• heat, homie!

Date: August 27, 2008 03:04 AM
    Author: billd
    Subject: third floor heating zone in dorchester

i need to run a zone for the third floor in an old house. i can run supply, return, and t-stat up the chimney i guess but that looks like it might suck. has anyone used a noritz or similar type brand of tankless to use as heat? what is the cheapest, best option for me as a contractor to do that will give the customer a cheaper alternative to electric heat? i am eager to learn good heating tips because i've done plumbing for the most part of my career. please share your knowledge it would be greatly appreciated. what are we talking for all the materials and how long for an animal of a worker/pipingmaster to finish? this is the third job i have done for this contractor and i need the good times to roll...it's his son in law's sister's house and the kid's mother and nephew are moving in and the kid also is his right hand man if that makes sense...anyway the job is mine and i want to price it right even though i will get beat up a little on final price...help!oh by the way upstairs is a kitchen (space heater only?), a full bath, and a bedroom. thanks!
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Rinnai Energysaver

Don't know the lay-out but these are perfect fro these applications. Simple to install, DV, 84%, modulating gas valve and blower. Check it out. at www.rinnai.us
  • klaus
    klaus Member Posts: 183
    Options
    Heat loss

Have you done a heat loss so you know how much heater you need? If you're trying hard to be efficient, both with your dollars and the customers, that's the place to start.

I appreciate the help with the pronunciation BTW. Being from the midwest I can't begin to pronounce those NE towns properly!
This discussion has been closed.