Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Power vent gas boiler vertically using chimney as chase?

Options
tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
As long as not a designed as power vent boiler like the one you mentioned. Get in touch with Tjernlund mfr which makes power venters and then you can size a stainless positive pressure stack up chimney that will fit for the btus required. Not a big issue. If set up right with proper draft, boiler will still maintain efficiency and good combustion. Maybe a good wet base steamer, cast iron boiler. I know Steamhead likes the Smith wet base with power burner. This all can be done. Good luck, Tim

Comments

• Mike Kehoe_6
    Mike Kehoe_6 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Can gas boiler be power vented vertically, w/ chimney as chase?

I have a one-pipe, natural gas steam boiler. Based on edr calculations, I need a replacement boiler with a IBR rating of 630 sq. feet. I have a large house in upstate NY with large radiators. The brick chimney is unlined. My boiler pro says that we need a flue liner that is at least 7" for the new boiler. My chimney pro has examined the chimney, which is massive, and says that he does not think that he can get even a 6" liner through. We have considered power venting out the side of the house in standard fashion, but have decided against it, because of the location of the boiler and limited options for location of the exit pipe. The solution offered by my boiler pro is to run a new steel pipe chimney up the side of my house. My question: Can we power vent vertically, using the chimney as a chase for the pipe? As an example, I have literature for the Burham Independence PV boiler, that vents through 3" AL29-4C stainless steel, with a maximum vent length of 35 feet. My chimney is approximately 35 feet high, but there would be elbows involved. Can this be done? Thanks!
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options

Check with Knight I believe. Protech was working on a new ss liner( Ventinox Proflex) that just passed the UL 1738 listing for Cat IV venting. This would allow you to reline the chimney with a small diameter listed liner for a power vented gas mod/con. HTH,

FWIW, Simpson DV just bought out Protech last month.
This discussion has been closed.