Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

circulator location

Options
In my mind, the technical reason would be - as the mixing valve approaches the set temperature, the hot inlet side of the valve would start to close down. When it does - you have no circulation in your radiant loops.

Easy way to think of it always have the pump inside the radiant loop you'll never go wrong that way.

My $.02
Glenn

Comments

• losthope
    losthope Member Posts: 10
    Options
    circulator location

im doing a zone of radiant heat. the radiant manifolds and mixing valve are going to be approx. 30ft away from the boiler.so high temp feed and return going approx. 30ft.... in the diagram that i made for the job i put the circulator on the mix side of the mixing valve(about 30ft away from the boiler). a fellow i was talking to asked why i didnt leave the circulator at the boiler circulating towards the mixing valve (towards the hot side of mixing valve) and he claims that it would work the same.i have always put the circ. on the mix side of the mixing valve pumping away, and all diagrams i can find always show it this way. i got frustarated cause i didnt know the reason why. so heres the questions. 1.will it work both ways? 2. why is it better to put the circ on the mix side of the mixing valve (like i always have done)?
  • Brstr
    Brstr Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Circ Location

When using a mixing valve you need to put the pump on the mixed side to create a positive pressure differential to "pull" the mixed water through the valve. You have the placement correct!
  • losthope
    losthope Member Posts: 10
    Options

ya i new i was doing it the right way but would the other way work? im looking for a technical reason as to why this way is better
  • According to Brad White,

and I agree with his reasoning, "pushing towards" it simply becomes a diverting valve. "Pulling away" it is a true mix.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.