Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cast iron wall radiators

Options
Not sure what you have for rads, but if steam, good luck. I would do everything possible to do it in one piece. Make sure you CYA with disclaimers. You touch it you own it. You know how that works. Don't mean to be negative, but experience tells me not to do something if I'm not 100 % sure I can fix it if my efforts fail. IF these rads are long with multiple sections, protect them from bending at the joints. It won't take much to make them leak.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=522&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• karr
    karr Member Posts: 1
    Options
    wall radiators

we were asked to remove cast iron wall radiators for painting. Do they have to be taken down in one piece or can you seperate them between the sections. There a connections at the top and bottom with coupling with what looks like looks reverse threads. I hope they can be taken apart since they built walls around them
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    good luck....you will need it

Maybe you can spray them in place. to remove may not be worth the effort & taking them apart will probably be instant suicide.
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    oooooh be careful

I heard a similar story that a guy lost his shirt because of this- mansion remodel, all the rads were removed and all the long wall rads leaked afterwards.

Avoid bad juju mon... DISCLAIMER, or leave it be!!

Cosmo
  • karr_2
    karr_2 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    wall radiators

Thanks for the input. Found a company: Shaffer Bros. in Monteal,Qc. that stocks the reverse thread couplings. They were helpful in giving advice on how to dismantle and reassemble the radiators
  • Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
    Options

I would say it not worth it having installed and de-installed even shorter sections of wall rads myself. You'll snap the lugs by using a long lug wrench for reverse thread nipples especially with steam wall rads.
This discussion has been closed.