Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Powder Coat Rad's

I've had 5 cast radiators sandblasted and powder coated over the last 4 years with no problems (only be sure they hang them top side up to coat) and they still look as good as the day I brought them home. These had years of interior paintings and where a chore to clean, now with powder they are a breeze. I plan on having the remaining 8 done in the near future. Good luck!

Comments

• Fred Rappuhn
    Fred Rappuhn Member Posts: 107

I am taking the advise from some here and checking out powdercoat a hot water rad. Approx. 3' tall, 6 tubes,(approx. 2' wide).

One place said a ball park price was about $150.00 to coat & another $50.00 to sandblast and prep.

I thought that was aceptable, If I can get one done for about $250.00 and it was as nice as some have said here, great!!

Another place I called didn't reccomend it, "it won't hold up with the constant change in temps, breaks down the elctro coating" ?????????? Also said that some of the rad's have a solder in them and the process melts it.
    I asked are you sure that we are talking about CI rad's. YEP!!!
    He said I can do it but it will only last about 2 years.

Was this guy smoking something?????
    And was the $200.00 - 250.00 price in the ball park????

I plan on calling some more coaters.

thoughts would be welcome.
  • Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244

I wanted to do the same thing, Powder coat a radiator.
    Spoke to Scott Rollo of Rollo Advanced Design, In Poughkeepsie, NY 845-486-4746. Scott says the item being powder coated has to be heated up prior to the application of powder then re heated after the application of powder.
    For correct adhesion the Radiator should be bare metal, all threads and openings covered. The heating and reheating temperature in the powder coating process depends on the powder being used. The heating back to 200-215' f by steam or hot water, may also cause problems later on. ( on motorcycles they never powder coat exhaust.) Now how about covering the radiator in a ceramic exhaust coating? Is there rubber in the seals of the radiator during assy? If you want to experiment, Kewl. But have supply and return valves handy.
  • Fred Rappuhn
    Fred Rappuhn Member Posts: 107
    Powder Coat Rad's

Tony,Why top side up and was the price I mentioned in the ball park?
    Fred
  • Terry_17
    Terry_17 Member Posts: 10
    Powder Coated Rads

Fred, yes the cost you mentioned is in the ball park. Reason for hanging from the top side is they tend to hang the radiators from hooks that will leave marks, if hung from under the top side the marks will not be visible once they are back in place.
  • Ellis Richman
    Ellis Richman Member Posts: 22
    powder coated radiators

Hi! Did any of the radiators you had powder coated end up having any smell or "off gassing" of fumes at all after you re-installed and fired them back up? Were they steam radiators? thanks so very much for your reply...
This discussion has been closed.