Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Visio or SmartDraw????

Options
Kal Row
Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
then it already has powerpoint which i use more than autocad

Comments

• ScottRW
    ScottRW Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hi guys, I remember back in January (I think), there was some discussion regarding the two drawing programs. Some of you were fans of SmartDraw, while others liked Visio. I hate to bring this up again, but now that I'm shopping for one of them, I'd like some input. For example, are the library symbols interchangable between the programs? Is one easier to get started on than the other? I know Smart Draw is quite a bit cheaper. Sometimes cheaper relates to lack of attributes, but not always in the software industry. Is there a different program other than these two, which s even better? Any input is welcome, thanks in advance.
    Scott in Idaho
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    i use smartdraw

and don't know anything about visio..but i found smartdraw very easy for my computer illiterate brain to use and i like how i can import actual pictures of things like vapostats into the drawings.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Visio

I have been using Visio for about 9 years now and I am still learning features. The universal truth about software is the more you use it, the more proficient you will become. Visio is a widely accepted format that several manufactures produce stencils for. It can be as simple as drag-n-drop but the more detail you want to add....let your own creativity be your guide.

Tekmar, Taco, Danfoss, Uponor, HBX Controls, are just a few that offer stencils for their fine products. Are you interested at all in drawing out the electrical portion?

Regards,

PR
  • ScottRW
    ScottRW Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Visio??

Thanks for the replies. Yes Paul, I do want to draw out the electrical. Seems like the more that's drawn leaves less room for error. Nice drawing by the way. I didn't realize that the manufactureres were providing stencils, what a bonus. Are the stencils importable to both programs???
  • Paul Rohrs_7
    Paul Rohrs_7 Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Stencils

Unsure about Visio stencils ability to be imported into the Smartdraw software. It depends what format they accept I supposed. I can import any JPEG and insert it into Visio for application specific components or even converting it into a stencil. Very adaptable.

Paul
This discussion has been closed.