Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

109 year old tank

Options
J.C.A._3
J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
The old timer I started out with told me that some folks called them "tempering tanks". They caught the water coming in from the st, and kind of started heating it in the basement so the water heater, usually a gravity coil or udder set up didn't have to work so hard.

Check the material that it's made of! I've run across a bunch that were made of Monnell(sp.) and the stuff is worth quite a bit to the right person. We sold ours to a guy that made whirligigs that apparently last forever. Chris

Comments

• PBCullen
    PBCullen Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Old tank

Can someone tell me what this tank was used for?? It is currently not connected, the old boiler system has been removed.
  • Looks like

an old tank from a long-gone pressure system.

Dave
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531
    Options

Last one I saw was about 4' in diameter, 6' tall and made out of 1/4" material. Almost looked like copper but not quite. Took the boys all day to cut it out of the stone corner that was built around it.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Edelson
    Edelson Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Tank

This is what is called today a pre-heater it was used so there would be no termo-shock to the heating equipment.
  • monel

looked up monel if that tank is made of Monel it's worth a chunk change for scrap.

Monel has two forms one of which can be magnetic, so don't assume that it's steel if it's magnetic.

http://www.espi-metals.com/metals/monel.pdf
  • Daniel_27
    Daniel_27 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Monels and incanels (sp?). They make aricraft parts from those types of metals.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    monel = copper-nickel

the top could be cast iron ruud made some
  • that's an old

That's an old well/water pressure tank.. The extra long sight glass was for to know when to add air into tank to help keep constant pressure on system.. The one in the picture lasts longer the ones I may be replacing.. Two 525 gals glav tanks, o nly 26 yrs old... anyone wants to give me a hand in removing them?
This discussion has been closed.