Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What was your first concert?

Options
Jack
Jack Member Posts: 1,047
I think it was 67. I got to help set-up the light show, which was about 50 individual slide projectors. This was back in the day when nothing beeped at you.

Comments

• Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    Deep Purple 1972

Machine Head Tour 1972 Thought I died and went to heaven. Opened with Highway Star.

Yes, Close To The Edge/Yessongs Tour was another unbelievable show... Man, I love music!

Siberian Khatru Rick
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Crack the Sky

late 1970s. I went with a friend who was much more into their music than I was. It was OK, but.......

First one that really blew me away? Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, 1981, on the River tour. I was a fan before, but this concert sealed the deal. I'd never seen anything like it, and didn't again until I saw them in 1984.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooocccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ray_14
    Ray_14 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Bruce Springsteen 1984

Born In The USA Tour. WOW. What a concert. Made me a fan ever since. The best thing was I was only 14. My brother took me. Gotta love him.

Ray
  • Ken Field
    Ken Field Member Posts: 127
    Options
    That stirs some old memories

First would have been Frankie Valie and the Four Seasons in about 1968. Next would have been Nazareth and Blue Oyster Cult on the same bill in about 1973. Can't remember the setlists but both were memorable.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • MPF
    MPF Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Bread...

If you can believe that one. LOL! Had to be 1971.
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    Options
    Hard to remember

Some memories are a bit foggy from back then, but I think it was Johnny Winter with his brother Edgar at the Labor Temple in Minneapolis somewhere around 1968.

Larry
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,040
    Options
    The Lettermen

1964. I also saw Ferrrante and Teicher, the piano duo about that same time. Yes, I'm an old fart.

Over the years have seen Chicago, Alice Cooper, Clapton x 2, Doobie Bros., Marshal Tucker, John Fogarty, Australian Pink Floyd but the best was Pink Floyd 1994.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options

The Bloody WHO.

It was my thirteenth birthday and they where playing the Music Hall in Boston.

My two older brothers brought me.

Album was Who's Next.

Scott

• Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    A friend took me

to see the Grateful Dead in 74. I had no idea who they were. Shortly after I read "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test," and knew all about them, and Ken Kesy too. WW

• Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    Options
    Yes

75 or 76. The Relayer Tour at Colt Park in Hartford CT (now gone). I was quite blown away by the whole experience. I guess I was 14 and had a tough time comprehending everything I was seeing.
  • heatboy_6
    heatboy_6 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Bowie

1974 - Ziggy Stardust tour.

I just took my son to his first rock concert on Friday. Mayhem Festival in Camden, NJ. Slipknot, Disturbed, Machine Head and many others. We took the ferry and went to the aquarium and the USS New Jersey. Outstanding day.
  • NW Indiana Steve
    NW Indiana Steve Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Smell that smell - Jefferson Airplane

JA & Grace Slick at a far Southwest Chicago burb just across the Indiana state line in a dump that held maybe 200 standing up packed like sardines.

Didja know that Jefferon Airplane is slang for roach clip? And boy did I smell that smell...
  • Bruce Marshall
    Bruce Marshall Member Posts: 37
    Options

Janis Joplin at the Music Hall in Boston January 1967. The concert ended at 12:30 which is exactly the same time the T stopped running. We had to walk home in a blizzard. An empty taxi which had passed us fishtailed into a snowbank, we helped push him out and he took us home.

Bruce
  • Joannie_15
    Joannie_15 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Bangor, Maine

Blue Oyster Cult, opened by Joe Perry Project, at the civic center in Bangor, Maine. I talked to Joe that day!!!
  • Gordon Lightfoot and Ian & Sylvia...

at the Expo(World's Fair) in Montreal. Lotsa folkies around then. "Now don't you shed a tear for me: I got a hundred more like you, I'll have a thousand 'fore I'm through".
  • Leo_15
    Leo_15 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Sha Na Na

While stationed in Hawaii in 1973 I saw Sha Na Na and it was my first concert. During that same year I saw Sonny and Cher and Three Dog Night.

Leo
  • radmix
    radmix Member Posts: 194
    Options
    best concert ever

no one can beat todays artists Hannah Montana, Miley Cyrus, Brook Hogan and Kelly Osbourne 2008 rocks
  • bill_67
    bill_67 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    first concert

my first concert has still to be topped,pink floyd on their dark side of the moon tour in portland ore.i was 16
    and already a big fan before the concert,david gilmour is unsurpassed as a guitarist in my humble opinion.
  • Dave Larsen_11
    Dave Larsen_11 Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Uriah Heap

The warm-up band was someone we had never heard of at the time......someone called ZZ Top! Great show
  • John Barba_6
    John Barba_6 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Summer of '76...

...Cat Stevens at the Providence Civic Center.

Best warmup band was The Cars opening for The Kinks at the Springfield Civic Center, summer of '78.

Hey Larsen -- who did you play for when you were in Colorado?

JMB
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Bill, you ain' t alone

I think you'll get Mark Hunt to agree with us on Gilmour. Check him out on youtube. plug in 'Hey Joe' with Seal.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    I just thought

of a concert I went to before the Grateful Dead. I went and saw John Sebastion and Livingston Taylor, (James Taylors brother) at the now gone Shady Grove round stage theater. The round stage turned slowly so everyone got to be in front several times during the show. Great concept. WW

• jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Chairman of the Board

which doesn't mean I'm old, just always thought he was the greatest singer.

For those who don't remember Old Blue Eyes it's Frank Sinatra, who did it his way in Chicago after wearing out New York, New York.
  • BRIANJ
    BRIANJ Member Posts: 118
    Options

First concert Peter, Paul and Mary Carnagie Hall 1966. Told the lady at the ticket booth it was my first time and she gave me two tickets on the stage. Great time. Biggest concert - Altamont, California 1969. Last concert Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan - Little Falls, New Jersey. Affordable Tickets Tour.
  • JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    Options
    1975, Bob Seger opens for Seals and Crofts

This was before hardly anyone outside of Michigan really knew about Bob. He opened for Seals and Crofts in a small arena (the ice rink) in my hometown in NW Ohio. I went with my future wife and four other friends.
  • Howard Emerson
    Howard Emerson Member Posts: 111
    Options
    1967 Boston's Back Bay Theatre

Where my brother and I saw Firesign Theatre open for The Soul Survivors (Expressway to Your Heart) who opened for The Buffalo Springfield who opened for The Beach Boys.

If you own Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere by Neil Young, you can see my (uncredited) pictures (Thanks, Neil)of The Springfield taken with a Mamiya TLR of the band (Bruce Palmer with his back to the audience as usual) and the other of Neil with hair hanging in his face that I took from the orchestra pit.

I was 16 at the time, and ran into Neil with Crazy Horse (2 years later) at The Bottom Line, where he put me on the guest list, and I brought him the pictures the next night.

Oh well........

HE
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    Options
    Fire Sign Theater!

I was seriously addicted to those guys back in High School.

How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all.
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    Dave, where did you see this show?

Saw the same tour, 72 maybe 73 at the Syracuse War Memorial
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Alice Cooper.....

Welcome to My Nightmare tour, 1976....Boston Garden, rats and all!

Back in the day, they ran "concert trains" that were just basically party wagons from start to stop. Quite an experience for a 14 and a 1/2 year old...and I had to tell my parents I was staying at a friends house to go!

2nd concert...Santana, with Al Dimeola doing the first act at the Cape Cod Collesium. (pretty much a hockey rink with very poor acoustics!)3rd....The B-52's with a backup band called Baloon, which became the Joe Perry project about 2 years later. This was at the Harbor House, in Lynn Ma. which has been gone since 1979. Man I'm getting old! JCA
  • Maine/Baltimore Doug_3
    Options
    Mine was the

group in, um, ah, hmmm. No, can't be that one. Oh, now I remember. It was the, damn, what was their name....
    The year was 1960 something and I was with my girlfriend Jane. Or maybe that was Susan. In any event it must have been fun.
  • Dave Larsen_11
    Options
    Stresskings

The main band that I played in was called Les Tension & the Stress Kings. I've been lucky enough to play with a lot of great acts, but that was way back when dirt was new!
    I believe the term now is geriatric rock.
  • Dave Larsen_11
    Options
    ZZ Top

I think it was in Milwaukee around '72, I dunno, if you remember the 70's then you certainly led a healthier lifestyle than I did!
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

The Fabulous Thunderbirds opened up for REO Speedwagon...great show.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Steve M_2
    Steve M_2 Member Posts: 121
    Options
    1972 Jefferson Airplane

I was a junior in high school and remember having to tell my Dad I was going to a Boy Scout function instead of a satanic rock concert. I remember Grace Slick cussed alot about some red lights shining on her and I was way impressed with Papa John Creach.

My second concert was to see a band from my high school that made it big, Mason Proffit and Sha Na Na opened for 'em.
This discussion has been closed.