Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Edge insulation ??

Options
Steve Ebels_3
Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
What is the best way to insulate the edge of a slab where it meets an exterior slab? The example I'm thinking of would be the interface between a heated slab in a garage and the unheated exterior slab by the overhead door.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    two products to consider

EnergyEdgeForm.com makes a foam in PVC product for edge insulation. It can be used as a form board, also About 1-1/2" thick.

The other, on the right, is a flexible foam strip. A plastic cap protects it during the pour. after the pour the top 1/2 of the strip pulls off. Then a special butyl caulk fills the gap. I use it on my driveway to garage slab. Not much thickness, however. Most concrete supply housed have expansion strip with this plastic cap.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Here's a site-built way that should prove effective and extremely durable. Polyurethane caulk is expensive but extremely durable and capable of covering large gaps. Keep the gap is kept consistent (say with double 2x wood forms), you can pre-assemble the insulation for bottom and core of the "gap" using nails and latex caulk.
  • Rod Kotiga
    Rod Kotiga Member Posts: 68
    Options

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of those two products used in the field ?

Thanks, Rod
This discussion has been closed.