Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit


Who need them.I found out by other if you dont buy all these expensive tool you can land more jobs.

You no longer have to send them off for repair or to have them adjusted.

You spend less time at the customer home and that means less cost for the customer.

I no longer have to hear the customer say shoot you're to high because now, i'm in the price range with other are charging.

oh yes..I found a folk in the road and the grass looks greener on the other side.

I even had a guy tell me the other day he went to a home and work on a system that was 8 years old.He pulled 5 lb of freon out of the system.I asked, how did you know it was five pound over charge.He said, the head pressure was like
400 lbs and it was only 85 degree that day.

I then asked what did the customer say?He then reply that the customer asked how was that possible when its been find all these year.His reply was,im not sure.I then ask him did you get pay.He said sure I collected 85 dollars.

Who needs those stinking tools.Save your money.


  • Eugene Silberstein_2
    Eugene Silberstein_2 Member Posts: 349

    Okay guys... We all know the importance of evaporator superheat and condenser subcooling...The million dollar question is this.... "What thermometers are you using to get your evaporator and condenser outlet temperatures and how are you securing the sensing bulb/thermocouple to the lines?"

  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144

    Doesn't five fingered Mary count anymore?Ho,Ho, Ho.!!!Normally I use 2 or 3 digital thermometers,depending, subcooling, superheat of the coil and superheat at the compressor and I use good ol' electrical tape,real tight, and Armaflex over that.I really like seeing that decimal point number,43.6*,43.4* 43.2*.There is an awful lot of space ,and time between 43*and 42* without that little decimal point.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836

    I use electronic multi station temp analyzers along with themp sensors for my Fluke DMM. For quick TD readings I'll use a digital pocket thermometer.
  • I use,,,

    Black tape to secure my contact probe(s) to the respective tube tightly, metal to metal, then I wrap that a few times with about 10" of foam tape that still has it's backing paper on it and then secure it with a wrap of black tape.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,398
    Use a universal digital differential thermometer with

    dime size contact discs and velcro strap. fast response and accurate.
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

    Most of us use the Cooper 4005MK clamp on thermistor. It has a K-type plug that will fit into any multimeter with a k type outlet. They are easy to use, though not so easy to afford. They work great for temps on hot water coils too.
  • Interesting...

    Now I have to check my flukes and see if one of them accepts the K plug. Unfortunately, I don't think so but you never know. ;)
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

    I've got a FieldPiece meter with a separate module for temperature. Some of their newer meters have the K-Type built in. (Kind of a pain having to hook up the module each time you want to use it)

    They have a model SC76 that has a clamp on head for amps, a K-Type socket for temp, capacitance for checking MFD's, and it auto ranges. I think I'm going to look into that one. Don't know if Fluke has one like that but I'll look into that too.
  • If I,,,

    tried to count the number of units I've found with plugged condensers that turned out to be LOW ON CHARGE once I cleaned them, my head would probably overheat and blow a safety. LOL...

    Checked the flukes, nada. Or SOL depending how you want to look at it. ;) I'm kinda set in my black box multi port t'meter ways anyhoo. I do need another probe though.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Only one true way to measure superheat and Subcooling

    And that is to use a pipe clamp temperature probe. Instantly grabs onto the suction or liquid line, can be removed and switched from line to line quickly, and the mass of the clamp handle helps to insure accurate readings.

    I've been using the Fluke clamp probe for over 15 years and love it. Fieldpiece Instruments makes three different types of clamp probes, all of which can be used on any thermometer that accepts a K-type thermocouple.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144

    I hope that was your sense of humor.What kind of doctor or dentist do you go to?
This discussion has been closed.