Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam radiator in kitchen island

Options
tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
Make sure you allow for ridgid insulation inside enclosure, foil faced, maybe .5" to 1". This will do two things for you, help protect the wood structure from too much thermal expansion and also keep interiors of cabinet from overheating. Good luck

Comments

• coffeeman
    coffeeman Member Posts: 18
    Options

A month ago I asked advice on heating for my kitchen remodel and bump out. I was looking at keeping steam or going with radiant. Based on the advice I recieved as well as price I am going to stick with steam. Can you let me know if the following idea makes sense. I would like to place the radiator along the back of the cabinets on the island where there will be seating. A radiator enclosure will be added to look like part of the base cabinets. Based on heat loss Burnham 25-4 radiator with EDR of 36 would work and would fit. Is this dumb? Will I fry while sitting there in the winter? Thanks.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Check these out

they show how an enclosure affects a radiator. Depending on how you enclose it, it might not put out enough heat:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=77

http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=115

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

I don't believe that would be a comfortable place to sit in the winter, especially when the system is producing steam. While a cover could help somewhat in the comfort department (shielding peoples' legs from the radiation), a well-designed cover will be really pumping out the warm air.
  • coffeeman
    Options

Do you think it would be better to place 2 smaller radiators on each side of the cabinets as opposed to one larger radiator along the back of the cabinets? Thanks
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    You DEFINATELY....

do NOT want to store food in any of the cabinets. Radiators are indiscriminate, and will work in all directions.I like the concept of rads at the ends!

Seating at the island should be kept away from the emitters...and Dan has an article in the hot topics sections...as to how much a radiator enclosure will decrease the output of radiators. Size accordingly.

Personally, I despise toe kick heaters. They are hard to service. noisy, and did I say IMPOSSIBLE to get parts for after they have started to make noise?. I just don't like em'.

Good choice to stick with steam. Do it right. JCA
  • coffeeman
    Options

Thanks guys. I will lose seating by moving the rads to the sides. But I think that will be better than roasting in front of the one large radiator. Good tip on the food storage. This area will be mainly pots and pans. However, I think my wife had plans for a spice drawer in the island. I will definately have that moved. Thanks again.
  • UDEL
    UDEL Member Posts: 1
    Options

I will be sure to post pictures. Once I have a drawing I will post that as well. Thanks to everyone for their time and advice.
This discussion has been closed.