Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

one system

Options
Glen Lewis
Glen Lewis Member Posts: 3
I have a couple of clients that have old cast iron boilers for baseboard heating and radiant in floor, the baseboard boiler is quite old, over sized, and inefficient and the infloor unit is on Propane and not large enough for the system, and both want to up grade to better systems and efficency, they also have tank type water heaters for domestic water heating, typicialy tank last 4 to 6 years in our area. I am planning on supplying and installing on demand heaters in both instances but was wondering on the price comparisons, efficency, reliability, and installation of three options. 1.One on demand water heater with heat exchanger for base board or in floor and tempering valve for domestic. 2, One on demand condencing boiler for baseboard or infloor radiant, with indirect water heater tank for domestic water heating, 3. One on demand for domestic or hot water and one on demand condencing boiler for base board heating or infloor radiant. Thank for any input and thoughts. Glen

Comments

• Glen Lewis
    Glen Lewis Member Posts: 3
    Options
    System comparisons

I have a couple of clients that have old cast iron boilers for baseboard heating and radiant in floor, the baseboard boiler is quite old, over sized, and inefficient and the infloor unit is on Propane and not large enough for the system, and both want to up grade to better systems and efficency, they also have tank type water heaters for domestic water heating, typicialy tank last 4 to 6 years in our area. I am planning on supplying and installing on demand heaters in both instances but was wondering on the price comparisons, efficency, reliability, and installation of three options.
    1.One on demand water heater with heat exchanger for base board or in floor and tempering valve for domestic.
    2, One on demand condencing boiler for baseboard or infloor radiant, with indirect water heater tank for domestic water heating,
    3. One on demand for domestic or hot water and one on demand condencing boiler for base board heating or infloor radiant.
    Thank for any input and thoughts.
    Glen
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

You say, "...infloor unit is on propane and not large enough for the system..."

In my experience, boilers are very rarely undersized. Problems with floor system output are far more often related to inadequate heat transfer into the floor. Only if the boiler is running constantly and the space cannot be heated to the proper degree is the boiler oversized. If the boiler cycles, the problem is inadequate radiation.

A properly installed and controlled condensing/modulating boiler and high quality indirect will prove efficient and comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.