Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gravity hw system

Options
jim_160
jim_160 Member Posts: 24
i have a gravity hw system. the boiler is 35 yrs old. its a combo wood oil. it works ok, and the water does flow and heat the place but very costly on fuel.can i get a newer combo for this type of system with btu capacity of 258,000? should i leave it grvity or put a circulator on?

Comments

• Bruce M_2
    Bruce M_2 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Heat Loss

Have you done a heat loss calculation yet? It may be that your boiler is oversized. What make is your present boiler?
  • zeke
    zeke Member Posts: 223
    Options

Gravity flow has NOTHING to do with inefficiency. Poor boiler performance and poor insulation are the culprits
  • Andy Stern
    Andy Stern Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Gravity

I did a conversion and was very happy with it. You need to ABSOLUTELY calculate heat loss to size system properly (slant-fin as some nice forms), verify rads can handle (calculate radiating equiv), drain system by bucket-fulls to size expansion tank, circ pump can be LOW flow, I set up bypass circuit for tempering return water, install balancing valves (I had two zones), insulate all heavy iron you can see in the basement and figure on designing a bunch of unions for down the road mods... If I were you (and had the room), I'd keep a parallel wood system for frugal reasons... Ceck out slant-fin literature for de-air bleed and plumbing arrangement... I set mine to pump from boiler. My system was original circa 1928
This discussion has been closed.