Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Modine oil heaters

Options
Greg_41
Greg_41 Member Posts: 16
is there a lift pump that gives oil to the heaters? Should be set up 2 line, and have there been limit control failures or fan failures? Is the other unit low speed? Check temps and down fire the burner, how's the draft, may be an issue with use of a particular bay door. Has anything changed in the routine of the garage recently, alot of times the new problem is caused by a new environment.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=555&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Tilmon
    Tilmon Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Modine oil heaters

I worked on a modine suspended oil fired heater today. The heater is 18 months old, the combustion chamber has been replaced once about 7 months ago and needs to be replaced again along with the heat exchanger. The manufacturer, dealer and installer tell me the unit has NO warranty at all. What should I do?
  • Glenn E Sossin_2
    Glenn E Sossin_2 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    where is it installed?

What type of environment is this installed in? Perhaps there is something in the air that is attacking the chamber and heat exchanger.
  • Tilmon
    Options

The heater is in a school bus garage. I don't believe it is due to air quality, Mainly because there is another heater in the same room that is 30yrs. old and still in great shape.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Check the manufacturer's setup specs

the nozzle pattern, burner head, pump pressure or something else may be wrong.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Leo_11
    Leo_11 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Is there

Is there a cap on the chimney? Could have water coming in.

Leo
  • Tilmon
    Options

The unit is set up to the mfg specs and there is a cap on the chimney. Can anyone recommend a good suspended heater?
  • Leo_11
    Leo_11 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Exhaust fans

Had a Chevy dealership start having problems once, they had just installed an exhaust fan to eliminate CO issues but it wasn'tinterlocked with the modine.

Leo
  • Tilmon
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to help me out, it is appreciated.
    There s no lift pump, the unit is on a 2 line but the lift is close to the limit of the 2 stage fuel unit. I did check the vacuum and it was within the limit of the fuel unit, when I did the test it was warm (outside fuel tank), so maybe the vacuum got higher in colder weather (what do you think). The other unit is a low speed but the modine was installed to replace another unit witch was a high speed like this one, the old unit never had this kind of problem. (I'm curious as to how this would have an effect, any thoughts on that would be welcome) After replacing the combustion chamber for the first time the firing rate was lowered from 1.65gph to 1.50gph ( it's all the burner could do without changing the head ) the stack temp is about 450F net. The fan and limit controls have always worked properly. The draft is good, there is no mechanical ventilation in the building and the routine in the garage has not changed and no new equipment has been installed. For now I may try a lift pump, when the unit was new I had to replace the fuel unit, it was under warranty, they sent me a rebuilt unit of a different make. Another tech who worked on the unit told me he had trouble getting the flame to "lock on the head" and caused to unit to go off on reset, I never had this problem but I never serviced the unit in cold weather.
    Is it a vacuum problem or am I missing something else?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    When you say

"trouble getting the flame to "lock on the head" " you probably have a loss-of-retention scenario, which can be caused by too much draft or maybe positive pressure in the building. The flame leaves the head, burns dirty, gives off less light which can lock out the primary.

Check the draft and see if there's positive pressure in the building when the weather is cold. The latter could be caused simply by a lot of rising warm air.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.