Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heating a house with solar energy

Options
Of course, a Steffes unit is only worthwhile if your electric utility offers a favorable off-peak rate. For example, in Colorado, Xcel doesn't offer any discount.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• johnnyge
    johnnyge Member Posts: 86
    Options
    heating a house with solar energy

I am interesting on buying a house but the problem is that the heating is a hot water baseboard oil boiler. Because of the price of oil I will like to know if there is other form to run the hot water baseboards with other type of boiler that will run from solar panels. there is not gas service in the area where the house is located only electric service. So if I change to electric heating the price will be very high, thats why i will like to know if there is a system that can be run from solar panel and more or less how expensive will be to get it change.I know that in this site noone discuss prices.What I am asking is a ball park figure of this type of changes so i can make an offer on the house according the convertion.Thank you
  • WV EGBERT_2
    WV EGBERT_2 Member Posts: 98
    Options
    solar

Well, solar won't help much with HWBB emitters. They usually run at high temps. That is of course if the baseboard was way oversized, then possible to run at lower temp. Solar is somewhat ideal for lower temp systems like radiant.
    If you want to install solar thermal for domestic hot water production then your money will be better applied in that application.
    How is your domestic hot water heated now?
    Also with current system look into adding outdoor resest control to boiler. And look at house as a system, will newer windows , insulation, blower door test, be better investment to contol fuel usage.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike Dunn
    Mike Dunn Member Posts: 189
    Options
    You should look into

the Steffes Hydronic Comfort Plus system. It is an electric thermal storage unit that stores energy in ceramic bricks heated by off-peak electric rates. The brick chamber can reach up to 1100-1200 degrees. This stored energy is used when your off-peak is off.

Here is a link:

http://www.steffes.com/offpeak/comfortplus/hyd_overview.aspx
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,189
    Options
    Define the load first

spend time and money to lower the heating load as much as possible. insulation upgrades, weather strips, possible window upgrades, blower door test, etc.

With the target as close as possible now you can design a solar thermal component.

Old time solar installers seem to agree 30% solar heat is affordable and realistic.

Of course if budget allows and you want to prove a point 90% or more is do-able.

I have seen small homes in the mountains of Europe with 90% solar DHW and heat systems. I suspect the solar component was a large percentage of the homes cost :) 5- 15,000 thousand gallons of insulated storage, and a place to put it gets to be an engineering challenge.

These projects are sometimes refered to as solar systems with a housing annex. This project designed by Jenni Engineering.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • michael_34
    michael_34 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    solar in Michigan

for radiant base board heat besides needing higher temps, you will need lots of solar storage (water tanks) to draw off. Depending on the square footage and the heat load.
    If you want to go PV (solar electric) you may need a 10k system (which is expensive) or more just to cover the electric load of the heating system (depending on what type you use).
    I agree with Hot Rod. Lower your heat load first the best you can.
  • johnnyge
    johnnyge Member Posts: 86
    Options

Thank you all for your advise. this is a excellent place to get ideas and to help help in heating and cooling issues. I will take in consideration insulation and prevention of heat lost,until an afforable solution for heating.
This discussion has been closed.