Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combustion analyzer

Options
Glen
Glen Member Posts: 855
No - at least as far as his opinion re testing is concerned; his other skills may be impeccable. You are correct in insisting that combustion analysis is an integral part of the re & re process. Stick to your guns -

Comments

• Peter Zelchenko_2
    Peter Zelchenko_2 Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Am I asking for too much?

I have prepared a simple spec sheet for our anticipated oil-to-gas steam boiler changout. The final item calls for the results of a combustion analyzer test on the installed new boiler. (Does anyone care to see my spec sheet?)

The first business to quote took exception to doing any combustion analyzer testing, telling me that the boiler is tested and qualified by the factory, and the roll-out switch takes care of any CO issues.

Is he a mainstream, modern professional?

Or should I shop around for someone more up-to-date?
  • Couderay
    Couderay Member Posts: 314
    Options
    Combustion analyzer testing

Yes, without a doubt. Find a qualified person who will do this very important step. No job in my mind is complete with out one.
  • SG_3
    SG_3 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Combustion analysis

The rollout switch only senses heat, i.e., from a blocked flue. Every fuel fired system should be checked with a combustion analyzer on install and annually thereafter. It's the best way to check for hazardous conditions like a bad heat exchanger, and the only accurate wate to set up a burner.
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Options
    Analysis

EVERY gas or oil piece of equipment NEEDS to be checked with a good analyzer interpreted by a trained professional. However, the analyzer results most times only tell part of the story. At the very least any equipment needs to be checked for CO by an accurate instrument. If you want to ensure you are getting the best possible efficiency out of a fuel burning appliance the most important reading will be the percentage of oxygen in the flue gas sample.
    Just my educated 2c
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Any contractor who

"takes exception" to combustion analysis is not worth hiring. Find someone who does it on every job. Your family's safety is at stake here.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.