Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CO2 Levels in Oil Burners

Options
tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,763
the net effect is that efficiency goes up as CO2 goes up, ie. less excess air. You can go too high on CO2 and then get high CO, not good. I think there is a trade off for less energy useage compared to higher CO2 emmisions.

Comments

• Gene_7
    Gene_7 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    CO2 Levels in Oil Burners

If CO2 is ruining our Ozone, why are we trying to increase it in our Oil Burner Stacks? Is it because the higher we bring it at the stack, the less goes into the atmosphere or is it so the furnace will hold more heat and make it more efficient? Thanks for any input.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    As I understand it

the CO2 percentage is a reflection of how much excess air is diluting the products of combustion. For a given firing rate, the basic CO2 production is the same, but excess air being supplied to the burner will lower the CO2 percentage measured in the stack.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • RonWHC
    RonWHC Member Posts: 232
    Options
    Added excess air

will also increase CO as it decreases CO2. Most oil appliances are tested @ 12 1/4% CO2. Best operating CO2 is 11-13%. Higher the CO2 (lower the O2), the more efficient.

I'd rather be more efficient w/ higher CO2, than waste fuel w/ lower. Like the wasted energy on the current crop of EPA approved diesels. Or low NOX gas equipment.
This discussion has been closed.