Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CONVERTING ONE PIPE STEAM RADIATORS TO TWO PIPE WATER

Options
but this misguided notion refuses to die.

There are quite a few pitfalls to this type of conversion. Several have already been mentioned in this thread- increased working pressure causing leaks, radiation inadequate on hot-water, sludge/debris in system.

I've seen buildings that were severely damaged because of botched steam-to-hot-water conversions. Liability lawyers dream about these cases. My company does not recommend or perform this type of conversion, and will not work on a system someone else has converted.

If a steam system is in good repair, it will equal the comfort and approach the efficiency of hot-water, assuming similar boilers.

The most efficient residential gas-fired steamer on the market today is the Smuith G-8. Its thermal efficiency is roughly 6% better than the typical atmospheric gas boiler.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Dave_133
    Dave_133 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    converting one pipe steam radiators to two pipe steam

I have seen a piture of a valve that can be added to a one pipe steam radiator that allows it to be used for hot water. Do you know of such a valve and is this a good idea, considering the corrosion indemic to a steam radiator?
    Also I would like to upgrade the boiler. Buderus has been recommended. I have not found it easy to cross compare high efficiency water and steam gas boilers. Any good source for ratings?
  • Frank_59
    Frank_59 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have a one-pipe steam system, with a 70year old coal boiler, converted to oil about 40 years ago. I'm thinking about converting it to gas/hot water. One contractor suggested that I could re-use the steam radiators, just by adding an extra pipe for the water to leave. I don't see how this is possible, since the radiation will be so much less from 140-degree water, than from 212-degree steam.

So, my question is, even if the hardware mentioned in the previous post is available, would you even want to?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,008
    Options
    No.

Usually NOT worth the effort...always seems like "contractors" and engineers think this is a swell idea, but haven't much to say when half the joints leak. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Frank_59
    Frank_59 Member Posts: 2
    Options

So then, is it even worth converting from steam to hot water. There's nothing wrong with my steam system: heat is even, radiators are fairly compact, banging is very infrequent (maybe 5 times all winter). But the boiler is ancient, steam doesn't support zones, and I figure if I'm going to replace it, maybe I should convert to hot water at the same time (and go from oil to gas at the same time). IN fact, I have two HW zones running off my steam boiler, in effect creating a "steam zone" and two HW zones. The zones are not really decoupled though, since once the boiler is trying to make hot water, it creates some steam, causing the steam radiators to hiss, since they're getting some steam without calling for it, just not enough to shut the valves.

With HW, I could get a higher-efficiency boiler, with as many zones as I like. But the more I look into it, the more I think maybe I should just stick with steam, insulate my walls (attic's already maxed out), possibly tap off another HW zone from the steam boiler.

Or here's an idea: get a separate high-efficiency HW boiler for the HW zones, fully decoupling the steam and HW systems. Any opinion on that?

Appreciate all comments.
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    Steam/hot water

Many of these questions have been addressed here in the past. You may get more responses if you post this on the main section of this board "The Wall"

One issue brought up when converting from steam to water is you will be taking a system running at less than 1 psi and subjecting it to pressure of up to 30 psi. If there are any weak points, this may find them.

A properly tuned and maintained steam system should run silently.

Steam systems can support zoning. With the addition of (TRVs (thermostatic radiator valves) you can zone every room in the house.

You can get a higher efficiency from a hot water boiler, but the additional installation costs may offset any fuel savings.

A new steam boiler installed by a professional "steam man" may be your best bet.

This site is a great place to do your research.

Good luck,

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.