Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I know this is off topic

Options
Peter S
Peter S Member Posts: 4
is brass, you can sweat the adapter directly to the body.

Comments

• Ed Lentz_2
    Ed Lentz_2 Member Posts: 158
    Options

I am installing a new American Standard Tub/Shower valve assy. For the life of me I simply cannot get the hot side to stop leaking!! It is very slow, just enough to seep over a few minutes time, but I want to close the wall up. I have got it about as tight as I can get it. Is there a better way to hook these up? Something similar to a lavatory faucet or a kitchen faucet?

Thanks for any suggestions and Please everyone on the Wall have a Great and SAFE weekend!

Ed
  • Dan Sedens
    Dan Sedens Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Have you tried

teflon and then pipe dope. I generally do this for joints and never have any problems. Alot of people will say it is overkill but I have sometimes had problems with one or the other. Never when both. Takes a little more time and make sure you don't or haven't already overtightened.Those brass takeoffs don't allow for very much give. They tend to crack very easily.
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options

Thanks Dan
    I do have Teflon on the threads where the connection is made to the piece provided with the faucet. It appears to be seeping in the area where the unit slips. If I understand you I should use teflon and pipe dope on the 1/2 copper pipe connection. Is it possible to use a different connection from the faucet to the feed pipe?

Thanks
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

I always solder my pieces that will be within 6 inches of the threads together first, then tape & dope the threads, then thread them into the valve. If you sweat within 6 inches of the threads after threading the ftg into the valve, it 'cooks' the dope / tape and I get a tiny leak. That's just what I do and never have a problem.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • steveex
    steveex Member Posts: 95
    Options

Wick and dope never fails.
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options

No danger of overheating the joint since I had a 2 ft section to the fitting. So the consensus is that I probably should tape and dope (Rectoseal, I think I have some) should do the trick I am reading. I will get it done tomorrow morning. Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Have a great weekend!

Ed
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options

It doesn't look like I have the option to sweat the connection, so dope and tape it is.
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Options

To those who is interested. The pros are right yet again. I used some teflon tape and some Rectoseal #2 and that sucker is dry as a bone. I always thought that the tape was the replacement for the dope but, not so. Thank you all for your suggestions and help! Have a great Memorial Day!
This discussion has been closed.