Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Savings with insulation

Options
to an old thread, in which I listed heat-loss numbers for the various weatherization stages my house has been thru since it was built:

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=36958&mc=64

By all means do the insulation first. Then, when you do replace that boiler or re-burner it with a lo-hi-lo unit (if a suitable one can be found) you'll find it spends a lot of its running time in low-fire.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Peter Zelchenko_2
    Peter Zelchenko_2 Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Savings with insulation

I have just discovered that our wood frame facility, which used 5500 gallons of oil this past season has zero insulation in the ceiling/roof. The boiler is 40% oversized and I was planning to replace it, but now that I see no insulation, I figure that should be the first plan of action.

Is this correct logic, as far as payback is concerned?

Steve
  • Rob Blair
    Rob Blair Member Posts: 227
    Options
    Definitely!

What kind of wood scrap do you produce? Did you ever consider a wood boiler. I was at the EconoBurn factory the other day. Very impressive, and Energy Star RAted.

Up to 1 million btu.

Rob
  • Peter Zelchenko_2
    Options

When I said "wood-frame" I simply meant that it is made of 2x4 wood frame:-)
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Too many customers

Want the expensive and high dollar heating and cooling systems.

When I look at the house, I look at windows, attic insulation, below floor insulation, etc. It's not only the system, but the envelope!

Case in point: New customer replaced all the windows in his house except one (curved top window above the entrance, about $2500 to replace). Just by replacing all the south facing windows, his power bill went down about $50 per month during the cooling season. He's ready for spending the extra money on high efficiency heating and cooling as soon as he adds insulation to his attic.

You pay for insulation once. After that, it pays you back.
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    insulation

insulation is the wa to go but you want to really stop the air movement more than anything else so look to Icyneene or a similar spray foam insulation.
  • Peter Zelchenko_2
    Options

I am thinking that icycene is the way to go.
  • Billy March_2
    Billy March_2 Member Posts: 57
    Options

Icenyne is good but if you want more bang for your buck check out CORBOND. Corbond is a closed cell polyurethane spray foam. It is much more dense than icenyne and has an r-value of almost double that of icynene.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    I did

Recommend spray foam.

I was in an attic in August under a black roof a few years ago. It was 82 degrees up there. It should have been 120 degrees or better.
This discussion has been closed.