Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Basic truck alarm system

Options
Jim_47
Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
I know a contractor that got upset after the second break in and went another step further. using some simple off the shelf stuff, whne the trucks are parked in the yard, if a truck alarm goes off it also signals to the bldg. Auto dialer to his home, auto dialer to the forman and mechanics home as well. Oh and as an added surprise, the yard lights come on and a loud bldg alarm goes off.
He put up signs alerting people that the yard is also under video survailance. no more beakins.

Comments

• andy_21
    andy_21 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Basic truck alarm system

Bit off the usual, Have a fenced lot that is well lit where I park my box truck, equipment & storage trailer. Back the truck up tight to the storage container to prevent any break in,at least I thought so, well last night some SOB disconnected the tranny linkage pushed the truck a few feet, & cut the lock linkage, cleaned out all piping, fittings, & a large assortment of my tools. I put a starter disconnect in a few years back just in case, but now , I looking for some type of basic alarm just for the box, was planning to put in a separate battery w/ a charger,horns both inside the box as well as under the box to draw as much attention as possible. The only thing can find has remotes,shock sensors, etc. Just looking for something that if the door opens it will come on & stay on. Just wondering what everyone else has done to keep some of your hard earned money. Thanks
  • Dan C._4
    Dan C._4 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    magnet

I have a magnet wired to the back door. If the alarm is on and the door is opened the alarm goes off. I also have it set up so that the magnet turns the back light on too.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    a serious pup

how about a doberman. ya gotta hurt thieves or they keep coming back.
  • mark_114
    mark_114 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    alarm

the best solution is to make noise..and lots of it! a cheap car alarm with a remote control connected to a set of regular car horns INSIDE the the back of the van can shake off the most determined thief. Try the hockey puck padlocks on the doors and mesh over the windows and keep the good stuff out of site. Most crooks wont break into a truck that they cant look into to see what the loot is like. Realy S#$%# to have all of that stuff stolen I know my tools are like old friends collected over the years.....
  • mark_114
    mark_114 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    alarm

the best solution is to make noise..and lots of it! a cheap car alarm with a remote control connected to a set of regular car horns INSIDE the the back of the van can shake off the most determined thief. Try the hockey puck padlocks on the doors and mesh over the windows and keep the good stuff out of site. Most crooks wont break into a truck that they cant look into to see what the loot is like. Realy S#$%# to have all of that stuff stolen I know my tools are like old friends collected over the years.....
  • Dan C._4
    Dan C._4 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    dog

The dog is not a good idea because they can sue you after they get bit by the dog even though they are breaking in. At least thats what my insurance agent told me.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • SVDW
    SVDW Member Posts: 80
    Options
    ALARM

There are a couple alarms that sense air pressure changes in the vehicle such as a window being smashed, ect. I think they are ultrasonic? Check with an alarm professional.
  • Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Options
    Mike...

Sorry to hear about your tools Mike, that really $ucks. Really amazes me the extent some people will go to to avoid honest work.

Do you have a locked bulkhead in the truck? If they have to enter from the rear or side how about some simple micro switches wired to car horns with a remote battery. Maybe hook it up to a flashing light too. You could hide a simple on - off switch out of the way in the cab. Noise and lights are the crooks enemy.

One thing that works in my area is stickers and signs. I've been told by the local authorities that if the bad guys see warning signs about alarms they will usually move to other targets and not take the chance.

Good luck, Rich L
  • heatguy
    heatguy Member Posts: 102
    Options
    simple

Hey Mike dont know your backround but if you can wire a basic series circuit your good to go all you need is motion detector the in the house type a switch, power source and noise go to radio shack find someone with a brain[good luck}tell him what your doin and away you go
This discussion has been closed.