Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

copper thieves getting bolder - jail time this time

Options
I have seen it work many times in the late 70's and early 80's when copper was real high. I used to work for a roofing contractor in high school and we always painted the expensive tools black too, and we left them outside behind the building. I thought they were crazy, then one friday afternoon a new, small, hot tar pumper engine was delivered and we didn't paint it,and it was gone by monday,but they left the much bigger engines that were painted black. I have been painting my big tools black ever since. A new building is going up here in the inner city and thieves recently broke in and took all the tools and the copper in the basement that wasn't painted black yet, but they left the copper upstairs that was painted black. No ever stole any of my tools but I always figured I could identify them years later if it was paintd black.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=331&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_11
    Options
    caught in the act!

The clown who did all this damage was caught because of the noise he was making. Off to lock-up. Soon as he was released, he returned to the SOTC & made off with all the pieces & parts!

Next up: testifying in court to give $$$ on what it will take to put humpdy-dumpty back together again. The cops wanted to list damages at $100.00!!!

Missing: the 5-ton A/C condenser; two display case refrigeration racks; one walk-in box ref rack & the two remaining ref racks for the other walk-in box are pretty much destroyed.
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    And THAT....

....is a darn shame!!!!

• Paul B._4
    Paul B._4 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't forget our friends at the EPA

I suspect that this clown could be brought up on federal charges for intentionally venting refrigerant.

Paul B.
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_2
    Options
    and

HCFCs at that!

Let's see: $10,000.00 starter fine with $1,000.00 per ounce after that? Looks like a 100G's minimum to me. But, the bum doesn't have two nickels to rub together (according to the lawyer who owns the property), so that fine will be on paper only.

If he had two nickels to rub together, chances are he wouldn't be working so hard to steal copper.

Priced it out today. Almost $50K in damages!
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Shoot first.

Ask questions while he's on the way to the morgue.

This isn't "petty crime"...this is STEALING some ones livelihood. Unfortunately, that isn't as bad as the courts see daily...and this anal orifice will be minimally discomforted by the punishment he is handed.

Deplorable....comes to mind. Chris
  • Leo_12
    Leo_12 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    A Lawyer

At least the lawyer will know what it is like to be a victim and hopefully he will tell his associates.
    Remember it is lawyers that defend these bums. During my years as a police officer two things I hated, a thief and a liar.

Leo
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    copper theft

i lost my bird feeder with copper-PLATED top and bottem recently [20 feet from my back door].the worst part of this is that these creeps are everywhere and too close to home!--nbc
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Hey Leo,

Did you mean to say "a thief and a LIAR"....or "a thief and a LAWYER"? Like there's a big difference ?

Chris
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 396
    Options
    I was on a roof today

Someone had gotten up on the roof and started cutting all the condensate drain lines of the units. They seem to have been spooked because the copper was still there. I guess they could return tonight. The worst one I have seen so far is the condenser coil cut of of a 20 ton carrier split system. I had about three thousand worth of copper stolen from a job site storage container two years ago. I have a job coming up next week with a bunch of three inch copper. Bad area too. I think it stays on the truck until it goes in the mechanical room. Frustrating to say the least.
  • John L
    John L Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Copper theft

Just installed 187 refrigerant linesets- you read right, and 12 condensors for over $150k from an apt complex. We are 2-3 clls a week now on stolen condensors and linesets.
    John L
  • Bob Sweet
    Bob Sweet Member Posts: 540
    Options
    I think like anything else

in the trades, it's only IF your licensed that you will be prosecuted!! It is only those that play by the rules whom are held to the rules.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options

TAR & FEATHER ......THEN FORMAL HANGING. CASE CLOSED
  • Rick Kelly_6
    Rick Kelly_6 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Copper Thefts

Unlike some other types of crime, this type requires accomplices. If law authorities wanted to make a difference they would pay a visit to some of these scrap yards and question who turns in brand new copper pipe and wire on reels. If payments had to be made by check it would establish an identifying paper trail that might make someone think twice about having their name tied to merchandise that they might have to explain the origins of. The scumbags who destroy our work and our customer's investments are bad enough but without the scrap yard enablers to embolden regular people to go and commit a crime, there would be no open market for stolen merchandise.
This discussion has been closed.