Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless boiler Q

Options
Bruce M_2
Bruce M_2 Member Posts: 123
I would suggest a gas fired om-demand water heater such as a Navien.

Comments

• Steve_175
    Steve_175 Member Posts: 238
    Options

I just bought a 2fm house that has a oil fired one pipe steam boiler for the rental unit. The boiler also provides domestic hot water ie a tankless water heater. The boiler is about 30yrs old.
    I think this set up is a scam by the oil company's to get people to burn oil year round. I would like to connect a separate hot water heater so the boiler is not called on during the summer.
    The Q is would it be better to do a superstor indirect water heater tied into the boiler OR get a gas water heater that has it's cold water supply come thru the boiler first thus getting a little 'free heat' boost when the boiler is running in the winter.
  • Ken Field
    Ken Field Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Some scam

I could give you the answer but I also sell oil so it would just look like another scam. 30 years ago oil was probably about 30 cents a gallon so what was economical then is not economical now.

Ken

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Leo_12
    Leo_12 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Scam?

What scam? Customers have all too often chosen to go with a tankless because the upfront cost was cheaper. They never looked down the road at the continuing costs to maintain hot water. To answer your question go with the indirect. If a boiler maintained heat for 30 years cooling it down can cause leaks, an indirect will add heat periodically. As an oil company worker I wouldn't want to work for you, you would distrust me before I even entered your basement.

Leo
  • Steve_175
    Steve_175 Member Posts: 238
    Options

I did not mean to imply that oil guys are scam artist. It just that having a whole house boiler turn on just to wash some dishes is excessive. In would be like using a Kenworth to go to the corner store to pick up some bread.
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Options
    The Kenworth

is probably more efficient than a Hummer on a lb/mile basis. A heating appliance should be chosen according to the job it is expected to perform.

Ron
This discussion has been closed.