Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

George Carlin R.I.P

Mark_46
Mark_46 Member Posts: 312
The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.

Comments

• Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    We lost a great one on Sunday

One the most biting sarcastic comedians who ever lived!

Long live the king, the king is dead
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    good!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked him until he did a piece on those AMERICAN contractors that got killed, dragged and burned in Iraq. he said something to the fact that they got what the deserved.

he crossed the line...............not sorry to see him go.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    What a shock

I just saw a clip of a bit he did about the difference between footbal and baseball. He was a genius and will be missed. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John Barba_5
    John Barba_5 Member Posts: 7
    Always provocative...

He had a unique way of looking at the world, that's for sure. Saw some of his later HBO specials...he could make you uncomfortable and laugh at the same time, which is a hell of trick, when you think about it. The guy went from 7 Dirty Words to Mr. Conductor on Shining Time Station!
  • one of his quote

One of his quote rings true..."a smoking section in resturants is like having a peeing section in swimming pool"
  • Mark_46
    Mark_46 Member Posts: 312
    Thanks

Thanks for all the great material over the years, George. No matter how many times I reread any of his three books - I laugh.

Strangely, I saw him live May 30th at the Bergen PAC (Englewood, NJ) and commented that I was glad I did because who knows how much longer he would be doing stand up. 23 days later, he died.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    appreciate humor inspite of politics

While I reject his atheistic views, I have laughed at many of his musings. For instance, his routine on "stuff" is a classic.

However, I find it much easier to make humor about bawdy or controversial issues than to keep it clean. The best comedians, in my book, can keep it clean. Not many of those left.
    Bob
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    A thought provoking quote from George

This will take some thought:

God is pretty scary when you keep him indoors...
  • Heather_5
    Heather_5 Member Posts: 39

Carlin was at the very top of my list of all-time favorite comics. I loved his no-holds barred approach to comedy. I've had his "incomplete list of impolite words" downloaded for years and play it for everybody I meet who's never heard of the man.

I think, most importantly, he was smart. And his intelligence didn't fade, his wit didn't slow, even at 72 years of age. It's a shame he had to go, but I bet he went out flippin' the bird.

He'll be missed; he was unique.
  • Well &#$#*!!

That's too bad... :(
  • Jeff_117
    Jeff_117 Member Posts: 1
    XM Radio

XM radio has a tribute to him going on NOW on channel 150.

He was a filthy person and I didn't agree with a lot of his comments, but he WAS FUNNY.

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I can

remember around 1974 ish listening to his Dunce record w/ my best buddy. He was "dangerous". And funny. My mom wouldn't allow his records in the house.

I saw him live around 1993 at a ski resort. As he got older, his material became somewhat less fresh and funny, almost preach-like, but once in while there was a glimmer of the old George hilarity..
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

jp: I somewhat agree but I won't say that something similar didn't pass through my mind. Outrageous? yes. Crude? certainly. Obsene? no.

I remember being caught listening to one of his albums at a frinds' house--probably around 6th or 7th grade. We weren't playing it loud but we were really laughing at things we didn't quite understand. His mom had an absolute fit--his dad said very little and I'd swear I saw a good smile and understanding in his eyes. Later, my friend told me he caught his dad listing to the album while the wife and daughter were gone.
This discussion has been closed.