Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heat balancing

Options
matt boulay
matt boulay Member Posts: 2
Anyone know of an easy way to balance a system with both baseboard and cast iron radiators?

living room baseboard
bedroom baseboard
dining room baseboard
kitchen radiator
bathroom radiator

I'm currently converting from old one pipe steam system to a new forced hot water system with baseboards, but due to current configuration of house, space is limited. Long term plan is to remodel house and change radiators to baseboard, but there is no space for baseboards in kitchen and bathroom for now. I need a low cost method of balancing heat. I haven't installed anything yet. Currently the whole house is radiators. Any ideas?

Comments

• matt boulay
    matt boulay Member Posts: 2
    Options
    heat balancing

Anyone know of an easy way to balance a system with both baseboard and cast iron radiators?

living room baseboard
    bedroom baseboard
    dining room baseboard
    kitchen radiator
    bathroom radiator

I'm currently converting from old one pipe steam system to a new forced hot water system with baseboards, but due to current configuration of house, space is limited. Long term plan is to remodel house and change radiators to baseboard, but there is no space for baseboards in kitchen and bathroom for now. I need a low cost method of balancing heat. I haven't installed anything yet. Currently the whole house is radiators. Any ideas?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Yes

Keep the steam. Whatever problems you have with the current system can be fixed for far less than you'll spend on a tear-out/complete replacement job. And once fixed, your current system will be about as efficient as hot-water.

Your plan might not work for another reason: there are quite a few old radiators that will not work on hot-water... only steam.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Alan_11
    Alan_11 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Zone it

If it is to late to keep the steam then make the kitchen and bath a seperate zone. Radiators get hot and hold the heat a long time , baseboard heats up and cools down quicker. They don't play together well.
This discussion has been closed.