Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

old, odd radiation

Options
to be able to tell you what you have there. If they are "flue" radiators they do have a rather high EDR rating per section.

And is this a steam or hot-water system? If it's hot water, it's best to size the new boiler from a heat-loss calculation rather than the amount of radiation.

"Steamhead"

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Bill Campbell_2
    Bill Campbell_2 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    radiation data

Looking at a very large,old farmhouse. The radiators are built in sections like we are assustomed to, but there arer no tubes. They vary from 5" deep to 9" deep. What we would consider tubes is a solid piece. The number of sections vary depending on room size, etc. Anyone know where we can find output data for these. Checked all my reference books, Burnham and Weil-McLain, all to no avail.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Those sound like "flue radiators" AKA "Italian flue radiators". The intermediate (between the ends) sections are usually filled with lots of projections instead of flat walls as you get on the ends.

Flue radiators were known for having somewhat higher output abilities than most other forms of standing rads. I believe they were more expensive than other forms and they were among the mostly elaborately decorated.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I`m curious to see one Bill,,,

Is there any way you could take a pic and post-it?

Dave
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    I think Mike's right

but pics will tell us for sure. You can find the Italian Flue radiators in Dan's book "E.D.R.".

Where is this job located? Is it a steam or hot-water system?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad Campbell
    Brad Campbell Member Posts: 1
    Options

I'm Bill's son I am the one who was actually out to the house. I did not think to take any pictures while there (i just figured the al-mighty dad would know them--he knows everything else:-) These rads. look just like a normal tubed radiator from the front but the sides are solid and they just have ridges that run from top to bottom on the sides I believe 4, they stick out maybe 1/8"-1/4". Nothing fancy about them except they are solid. The current boiler is 480,000 BTU oil. We are looking to convert to natural gas and total so far all the other radiation in the home I'm at 165,000. There are only 9 of these radiators I just cannot see the output being that high on them.
This discussion has been closed.