Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cost anal ysis

Options
Derheatmeister
Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,548
Does anyone know of a software Programme that will take my customers Bill's and use that information

i.e given for January of this year:

Take the therms used from this year(4174) at the given average outdoor temp (9.7 F)

This would be compared to say Last years readings:

Therms used: 3388 and at a Average outdoor temp of 16.2 F. with a 0.7296 therm Multiplier (BTU contents of our gas which can also change with the Quality of the gas Thur out the year and the elevation)

I want to see if the equipments efficiency /usage is close to the same!

I sometimes use siggy's cost operation programme to do a yearly cost comparison between Boiler efficiency's... This is OK but not real (just on the combustion side, not on a modulating boiler which can be even more efficient than just the combustion)

But real data on the actual usage (gas and electric and estimated yearly Maintaining of the system in conjunction with a combustion test and a System efficiency (Amp draws on Over pumped system)would be a great "Sales tool"

I do not want to reinvent a existing wheel. Trying to create a "Spread sheet" full of addition/subtractions/multiplier's and equations.. Any Tools like this available?

Sorry about the long post and thanks for any Input. Richard from Heatmeister

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Why not calculate it

in terms of therms of gas per degree-day? This is more accurate than using average outdoor temperature.

You can find degree-days here. There are several options, you'd probably want the Archives so you can compare previous years:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/cdus/degree_days/

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White_185
    Brad White_185 Member Posts: 265
    Options
    Richard

Great to meet you and your trailer at Wetstock, by the way. Both of you are very communicative and wise. :)

Contact me off-line in a few days and I can set you up with a calculation I do. It is a derivative of the "degree-day formula" but is sort of a "Back-Door Triangulation" to check against calculated (presumed) heat loss, actual system efficiency over time (it never is "that number", plus the offset for usage, solar and internal gains, (the dreaded "Cd" factor).

But if the fuel is all in therms, (actual heat content), that is the place to start.

Later-

Brad
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Program

Hi Rich, I really enjoyed meeting you at Wetstock!!

Viessmann has a really good software program for fuel cost comparisons and boiler selection. You have to take the commercial boiler room course to receive a copy (after signing a disclaimer). The software, unfortunately, can only be used in commercial applications due to AFUE ratings on the residential side. I'm not aware of any other programs. I've been asking manufacturer's for years to come up with the software.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ted_5
    Ted_5 Member Posts: 272
    Options
    I am not sure this will answer

everything? When we look at the gas records to determine the actual usage for boiler sizing we have this formula. You cannot just look at averages, but use the average in the formula. You need the read out of therms used per/month. look for the highest usage in a one month period, then divide that by days in the reading = therms used/day divide by 24 = therms/hour X value of btu's in a therm = average/24 hrs. You need to know the average out side temp for that same period. If you want 70 in side temp,then subtract your average out side temp to get average Delta-T. Then what is the design Delta-T or coldest out side temp? So now you have 2 averages and one known. Average btu's used X design Delta-T divided by average Delta-T = Design input of boiler needed.

Ted
This discussion has been closed.