Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone know of an energy star rated gas steam boiler????????

Options
is the Smith G-8. This is a wet-base boiler that can burn oil or gas. I'm not sure if it's EnergyStar rated in gas trim, but it is when using oil.

What I can tell you is, the G-8 series offers a thermal efficiency (which IIRC is part of the basis of calculating AFUE) that is roughly 6% better than the typical atmospheric gas boiler. So if you're looking for a more-efficient gas-fired residential steamer, the G-8 is the one to get.

Now if Burnham decides to offer a gas option for the MegaSteam, that should outperform the G-8, though maybe not by much.

Here's a pic of a G-8 we installed about a year ago.

"Steamhead"

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• David_51
    David_51 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Looking to replace old oil steam boiler with a new boiler and was considering nat gas due to the price difference and potential savings. According to the Energy Star website, there only appears to be oil fired steam boilers that are above AFUE of 85%, not GAS. Does anyone know of a GAS energy star steam boiler or if an mfg is working on one, seems odd????
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • EasilyFound_2
    EasilyFound_2 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Is that a drop header on the G-8 in the picture above?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Sure is!

On this one, we extended the existing 3-inch header over the new boiler, and dropped into that.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mighty pretty...

;)
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options
    Smith G-8

Steamhead, we've always feared the Smiths because of the rubber seals between the sections, opting for more traditional stuff. I know you like these and have much success with them. They've been around for a long time, and I think you are of the same mind as we are when it comes to quality. What has been your experience with the longevity of these? I love their castings and realize that maybe it's time for me to get over some of my Jurassic hangups. - Ed
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Ed,

After my parents experience with a Smith boiler in 1977, I too was kind of afraid to use them anytime soon.

A few Summers ago, I installed an 8 series boiler, and was quite impressed.The design has made it a whole lot more installer friendly....and I haven't heard of any of the leaking problems that were so common with the older FD series boilers.

Maybe we got spooked at around the same time?

I like the new 8's. Unfortunately, the supply chain around here is lacking in selling them. (Imagine that! only 45-50 miles from the source!)

I like them but don't often get the chance to work with them. Chris
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Well,

we see a lot of older gasketed Weil-McLains too, and they seem to hold up well. I do like push nipples better, but one can't really argue with that kind of success.

And if you have to knock a boiler down to get it into the basement, a gasketed one is a lot easier to reassemble.

We only recently started using the G-8, so we can't speak to its longevity. I haven't seen any older 8 series around here. But those castings are H-E-A-V-Y! I would assume they'd last longer than lighter-weight ones.....

Chris, I agree the G-8 is not well marketed. It would sell much better if it was.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • David_51
    David_51 Member Posts: 3
    Options

thanks for the info on the SMITH G8, anyone else have experience with other gas steemers such as burnhmam, dunkirk or Weil McLain?
This discussion has been closed.