Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

\"L\" or \"M\" type.?

Options
Rich Kontny_3
Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
Steve,

You beat me to it, in fact I would insulate or at least coat the copper with shellac or urethane. The copper in a chlorine atmosphere is ugly at best.

We have done many school type pools and natatorium applications where the ductwork is either stainless or more often aliminum due to the chlorine.

Kind of makes you wonder what it does to our lungs???

Rich

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,548
    Options
    \"L\" or \"M\" type Cu pipe?

I've just am revanping a Pool mechanical room and ordered 1 1/2 " and 2" L type Cu pipe i think that since a state inspector will be inspecting this job i will have to:

1.Use "L" Type copper?

2.Install some Low water cutoffs ,is it possible to just install a "riser" above the boilers with a Low water cutoff or do i need to install a loop above to boilers?

Triangle said that i do not need a Lwco, but i do not want to argue with the inspector.

what do yall think? Heatmeister.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    i hate the price of copper...

and yet i going to say go with the L...

if you have more than one boiler...i am inclined to say even in residential units two low waters bettern one.

oops TT may have a point.. they have one already installed in boilers that i am most familiar.
  • WV EGBERT_2
    WV EGBERT_2 Member Posts: 98
    Options
    I would

use M for any of the hydronic piping and save the L for only domestic. It's code, and inspector should not have a problem with that,

The low pressure switch is not technically a LWCO, on the TT I add a tee at the hy-vent and put the LWCO there. I don't think being in the flow a problem.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,765
    Options
    I agree on flow is not an issue on lwco

Install on Tee at top of boiler with a good vent that allows vacuum breaking so if boiler does have leak below it will drain down and shut off. Some vents wont allow for vacuum break and the air lock and lwco will not shut off. Tim
  • Bob Sweet
    Bob Sweet Member Posts: 540
    Options
    I'm with Singh

Type M is all that it is req. (atleast here it is) i'm all for over building, but if this is a bid job you know your competition will spec minimum standards required.

I'm just south of you (about 8 hrs) and here LWCO are not req. on pool mechanical rooms. Not sure which code your under.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • STEVE PAUL_3
    STEVE PAUL_3 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    copper in pool atmosphere

Even though the code allows "M" copper, I would use the heavier "L" copper to resist the corrosive chlorine atmosphere in the pool mechanical room.
This discussion has been closed.