Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Update on Stove Gas Shutoff Location

D107D107 Posts: 1,609Member
A month later and I've gotten different stories from local techs. First note that my town uses the NY Uniform Building and Fire Prevention Code. A plumber who does alot of work in my area and all over Westchester says that a shutoff behind the stove rear indent--raised a bit on black pipe coming through the floor after which the flex connects to the stove is good, that a shutoff accessible in the basement would not be acceptable.

Another plumber says on all his new construction jobs, Con Ed mandates the side cabinet shutoff location. Who has authority here; what happens when code and utility disagree?

Thanks,

David

Comments

• The utility can

add to the code but not take away. In this the utility has authority.
  • D107D107 Posts: 1,609Member
    thanks Tim; hard to verify policy on utility website

Problem is, some solutions create more problems. Also new construction policy may differ from that for old housing. I think unless the job is done very carefully in the manner you suggested in the prior thread--probably more carefully than most plumbers would care to plan for--that side cabinet method might very well prove quite inferior to the old rear-of-the stove method.

Thanks,

David
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!