Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Career Day HELP !

Options
heatguy
heatguy Member Posts: 102
Thank you for all the suggestions,this is in a school so im sure i have to keep it mellow(dont want to get thrown out of school again).Please keep em coming. Thanks again.

Comments

• heatguy
    heatguy Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Career Day HELP !

Was invited to career day at my sons school.My son is 13 years old and will be having a career day which will involve the kids going from table to table and speaking to them about my career.We can also bring tools of the trade,diagrams,demos whatever. I am a Master plumber and hvac service guy and would like to wow the kids with something i figured somebody here has done something like this any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Pro-Press Tool

New Ridgid see snake...

Old Plumbing torchs, Tekmar control, Bacharach testing equipment with digital read out.

Show them more than a plunger. Thats what I did.

Good Luck

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John Barba
    John Barba Member Posts: 166
    Options
    More ideas...

I had the kids make PEX hula-hoops and let them use a variety of tools...my scouts especially liked sweating copper and using a press tool. They're young, they liked the fire better. Whatever you do, find a way to apply it to their own homes...it makes it more real to them...

JMB
  • Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Options
    Flame

My boss did one at his son's school a couple of years back, took a tri-stand, some copper scraps and fittings and let them try thier hand at sweating a few joints. He said the torch was by far the biggest hit. If you go that route don't forget a few extra pair of safety glasses and gloves.
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    career day show off

IF you are in a area where you can do it, I set up a burner on a tristand. A jerry can of kero and and extension cord makes a great attention getter. A blast of flame always grabs attention. I've done several of these "shows" set up in shop class.
    good luck.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Hey John

Did you just say to apply the flame to thier own homes to make it more real ?

Now call me crazy but .....

Scott

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    I know it's now Illegal But,....

I have done this in the late 80's. Take a jug of R-22, upside down and get some liquid into a container. To the side, have a container of Pepsi or Coke half full and pour the liquid R-22 into the soda container.....Watch what happens. It's GREAT!!!!

P.S. I know you will do this in your garage when you get a chance.......:-) Makes an awsome snow crystal treat, but don't eat it.

Mike T,.
  • John Barba_5
    John Barba_5 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Whoops...

They should only apply fire to their homes under total and complete adult supervision.

There. That should cover it.

JMB
  • Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Options
    Another neat one

Put a candle in a deep bowl and light it. Take Argon gas and put it in a container, I used a 2 quart pitcher. The Argon is heavier than air and will sit in the container. The kids can't see it in there of course but then "pour" it into the bowl with the candle and have the kids figure why the flame went out! I did this for my sons class in 4th grade science and they loved it.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    PEX hula Hoops

and soldering seem to give the kids the biggest kick but I would also add to the list cutting and threading black pipe, in case they don'tlet you solder in there and you will end up with a bunch of black nipples- have them cut them different lengths. My nephew was in a boy scout troop and I had them solder short pipes and fittings to read out "Troop 83" it was the biggest hit. They still have it on their travel trailer. Maybe you could spell out "Class of 2012" or whatever year they are graduating.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Options
    Liabilty

Unfortunately liability is going to limit thigs you can do. I would suggest the Uponor memory thing where you kink up the pipe and bring it back with a heat gun. (Always amazes me!)

For the better readers have them get "The History of Plumbing" from P & M magazine. I would think they would authorize downloading it for these kind of events.

Neat stuff !

Make us proud!

Rich
This discussion has been closed.