Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Office light

Options
is its longevity compared to, as well as using two fewer watts than, a CFL producing the same light. A 14-watt R-30 CFL gives about the same light but is only rated to last 8000 hours.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/14-and-15-Watt-R30-Compact-Fluorescent-Light-Bulbs/2740/

For comparison- a typical incandescent giving off 650 lumens or so would, as you say, use 65 watts but you'd be lucky if it lasted 750 hours, especially in a recessed can light.

A straight-tube 14-watt, 15-inch-long fluorescent would give about the same light output, and is rated 9000 hours. I believe the longest-lasting straight-tube fluorescents are the 40-watt, 48-inch variety, these are rated 20,000-24,000 hours.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    What's so interesting about

a new light bulb in my office. I paid 90 buckaroos for it is the first point of interest. Why would I do that?, you may ask. Light bulbs are cheap. Yes they are. Perhaps I'm a little addled. Perhaps I am but, that would be besides the point. This new light bulb is a special light bulb made to take the place of the insides of a 6 inch recessed light and give 150 watts worth of old light for only 12 watts of power. An LED light it is, with a projected life span of 52000 hours. That's about 6 years, if I left it on all the time, which I won't. The difference in quality of light is amazing. I have 4 recessed lights total in my office. The other 3 have the screw in flourecent flood lights. They are noticably yellow in comparison to the new light. For the money I paid I'd be disapointed for anything less. the new light is a very nice bright white. Now I can see the bills piling up on my desk. Ugh! I'm sure with time they broader popularity the price will come down. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    Options
    interesting

it will be interesting to see where that price is 2-3 yrs from now. bet the power companies hate them, either that or their next power station won;t be needed.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options

So...your gonna be the guinea pig on a new light. (someone has to do it)

Let us know the outcome. This is how we ALL learn. I hope to see good things. Chris
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Options
    That pretty much describes it

It is a better light as far as I can tell. Much brighter and whiter light and the weird thing is, it doesnt get hot, or warm very much. 12 watts in a reccessed can light is not a lot.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

If you find yourself getting noticably taller, move your desk a few feet from under the new light. Maybe measure the output with a light meter and check it in a tear or 2? Maybe put the plant under it?

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Paul B_5
    Paul B_5 Member Posts: 60
    Options

What light and what does it look like????
  • Bruce Stevens_2
    Bruce Stevens_2 Member Posts: 82
    Options
    I agree great lights

I only have a 9 LED array that I use at my desk that runs off my Ham Radio supply, great light and at under 2 watts draw how can you go wrong this one cost about 20 bucks it was designed for RV and Marine use but having the 12 volt supply only made sense. I also installed two in the back of the service van over my bench.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,321
    Options
    There's been...

... a controversy about LED efficiency claims and the real world that has fluorosents in it. If there is a way to measure that wattage now and over time to get a feel for performance, it might help WW to feel more like that (super efficient) Guinea pig ;~)

Yours, Larry
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Options
    Here's a link

http://www.usalight.com/led_recessed_lighting_green_products_lr6_c_292_p_1_pr_1417.html?lid=CKOKjtO1sJMCFRYesgodpn1dow
    Actually it sez in the link it is equivilent to a 65 watt incandescent. The guy at the elec supply house must have been misinformed. If it lasts the 50000 hours it's supposed to, it will save me 344 dollars in electricity @ 13 cent a KW. Subtract the 90 plus tax I payed thats a net savings of $ 250.00. It's looking better all the time. 50000 hours = almost 6 years of continuous operation which it won't see in my office. Maybe 25% of that which means 24 years. hmmm. We'll see. Although I am feeling taller already. :) WW
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Options
    Yes

I use the spiral florescents in my 3 other lights. They are rated at 14 watts so the benefit is not in the savings. The benefit is the immediate white light over my desk, while the other 3 lights take a while to warm up and give off a yellow light that's not as useful. Also I believe the spirals don't last as long in the reccessed cans as they would in another fixture. WW

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    If you're using

standard CFLs with exposed spirals, they're not the best CFL choice for recessed cans. The R-30 mentioned above is a reflector bulb, 3.75" diameter with a spiral inside. This makes it better for a can since it reflects all its light out of the can.

CFLs do produce a bit of heat, though not nearly as much as incandescents. The reflector in the R-30 also sends heat out of the can, extending the life of the bulb.

If your cans will accept a 5" diameter reflector bulb, you can use an R-40 in them which will give more light.

Regarding color- the "yellowish" hue of your CFLs was meant to mimic incandescent light. This was essential in getting people to accept CFLs for residential use. These have a "color temperature" of 2700K to 3000K- roughly equivalent to a piece of carbon glowing as it is heated to 2700-3000 degrees Kelvin.

The "cool white" fluorescent color, equal to 4100K, is the one we're used to in offices or schools. It is possible to get CFLs and most likely LEDs also in this color temperature if you wish- you just have to ask for them.

"Steamhead"

• Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Not surprising

My buddy is a commercial lighting salesman, he says his biggest jobs now are relighting underground parking garages, think 24/7 lighting with LED commercial fixtures at $800 a copy. Payback is 2 years at Comm. ED (Chicago) rates. Also, the merchandise mart, a huge bld. where there row on row of track lighting to give good color to clothes and furniture. Also the commuter rail system that has tons of light all night. Any all night on parking lighting. Definitely the wave of the future.
  • Home Depot Employee
    Home Depot Employee Member Posts: 329
    Options

I installed "warm white" LED's floods in my existing hayward light housings in my pool.
    Took out 300 watters and put in 12.5 watt LED with blue covers.

Go ahead kids and leave them on now as long as you want, I enjoy the blue hue eminating into my great room.
This discussion has been closed.