Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless or Smith? Any Reviews or Recommendations?

Options
bill_97
bill_97 Member Posts: 172
I have 0 experience with Smith , but I'm sure they make a great boiler .

My experience is with Peerless . We use the EC model for steam , but the WBV is a fine steam boiler also . I've personally installed hundreds of EC steamers and I can count on 1 hand how many we have replaced since they brought out this model . A very durable ( and heavy ) steam boiler . Here's one we installed a few years ago .

Comments

• Peter Zelchenko_2
    Peter Zelchenko_2 Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Peerless v. Smith

I've got quotes from two contractors and two different kinds of boilers - a Smith Series 8 steam/oil fired residential boiler and a Peerless WBV steam boiler. I've been looking around online for reviews of either and have not seen much other than some negative reviews of Peerless because of noise issues but I'm not even sure that's relatable to the model I'm looking at. Does anybody have any knowledge of either type? Good or bad experiences?
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    fielders choice

BOTH are great boilers . can't go wrong with either
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    boiler choice

no matter which one you choose--make sure the representative for that make is close by.you are unlikely to need any parts--but just in case.
    also get a vaporstat [0-16 oz.] right off the bat with a low pressure gauge so you can see ounces of pressure.no sense in just having a standard presuretrol and then throwing it away--better not to have bought it in the first place.
    there may be an option for a hi-lo-hi burner so give some very serious consideration to that feature which will allow the maintaining of a few ounces of pressure more constantly without the burner on--burner off method.
    there is more difference between the different boilermen than there is between boiler makes [gross oversimplification ?]
    good luck--nbc
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    I'd go with the Smith

the 8 series boiler is offered not only with an oil burner, but with a power gas burner as well. This would let you switch fuels if you see fit, without having to buy a new boiler.

Unfortunately, neither boiler offers a lo-hi-lo option (yet?).

Depending on how big a boiler you need, it may require two risers from the boiler to the steam header. In this case, a drop header is the preferred piping setup- it's much easier to install and allows more "give" for expansion and contraction. I've attached a pic of what this looks like, on a 6-section 8-series with gas burner.

Also, the horizontal portion of the header should be enlarged from 2 to 3 inch pipe, as shown. This will result in much better separation of steam from carried-over water, resulting in more-potent steam being sent to the radiators.

And listen to what Nick said!

BTW- for Ron Jr.- are those Peerless boilers EnergyStar rated in the sizes you use? The Smith ones are.....

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    2-stage

http://customer.honeywell.com/honeywell/ProductInfo.aspx/V4944B1018
    or
    http://customer.honeywell.com/Honeywell/UI/Pages/Catalog/ModelCategory.aspx?Catalog=Buildings&Category=V4944B,L,N/V8944B,C,L,N_2219&ChannelID={02CD9124-96F3-4A04-8EA7-1777CCCAD5B3}

why wouldn't this sort of valve work as a hi-lo-hi vave?
    i know the boiler manufacturer doesn't offer it but then they really don't know about the importance of LOW pressure steam for heating either.would it be worth a try?--nbc
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    It would probably

void the warranty on the boiler and/or burner.

But the beauty of the oil-or-power-gas-burner arrangement is that when the manufacturer does put out a major upgrade like lo-hi-lo, it's usually (but not always) a bolt-on job.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Bob Forand
    Bob Forand Member Posts: 305
    Options
    Boyertown PA

They are both from the same foundry in Boyertown PA. They are shipped off and assembled at their respective locations....
This discussion has been closed.