Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solar School?

Options
Rich L.
Rich L. Member Posts: 414
Caleffi's series of books, Idronics, are free and appear to be very comprehesive. Lots of piping diagrams and details on solar in thear latest, volume 3. It's available free at:

http://www.caleffi.us/caleffi/en_US/Site/Technical_library/Idraulica_magazine/args/detail/~Details~Magazines~magazine_detail_0000063/type/magazine/index.sdo

Getting more and more anxious to toss my hat into the solar arena also!

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Where Do I go....

Where can I go to bone up on solar energy and heating?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Ron Huber_2
    Ron Huber_2 Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Books

A real good place to start is getting some books that have actual information that is somewhat accurate. Try "Solar Hot Water Systems" Lessons Learned by Tom Lane, Amazon.com etc. will have it. And "Planning and Installing Solar Thermal Systems" a guide for installers, architects and engineers , this one is packed with more current illustrations and goes into more types of systems than Toms book. American Solar Energy Association or Solar Energy Industries Association should have this one, it may also be available on Amazon.com, everything else is.
    We are entering a new generation of solar installations, hang on to your hat!!!
  • Dan C._4
    Dan C._4 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    viessman

I just got back from viessman training. The class I took only had a little solar but they have a class dedicated to just solar.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Yes the Viessmann

class is very basic but definatly a good place to start.

Scott

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Thank you, gentleman.

I'll look into those options right away. I've got to do something soon.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,088
    Options
    How is NYC dept of builds and planning

in regard to solar. Some of our Villages in Long Island are shooting it down on residential apps. Mad Dog

• Keith Cappuccio
    Keith Cappuccio Member Posts: 2
    Options

A local strip mall I spoke with was having real problems with the DOB and a solar PV collector that they wanted to install. They gave up because DOB wouldn't even allow them to mount the panels themselves - everything from soup to nuts had to be done by a licensed electrician.

I haven't heard much about solar HW. Are you going to be getting trained in solar HW installation? If so let me know cause we're in the same area. If you'd like I can email you if I get a good training class going for us.

Thanks mad dog
    Keith

• Robert O'Connor_15
    Robert O'Connor_15 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    MD

What were their reasons for shooting it down? Was it zoning, height, historic districts perhaps? I'd be very interested in knowing why.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Rich, toss your hat

into the solar arena. I like that, now is the time. Oil just recently hit $100 dollars a barrell, now a couple of months later it is at $127 a barrell. If these type of increases continue we could be in a lot of trouble. A couple of other magazines are Solar Today at $25 a year and Renewable Energy World is free to the trades like PM magazine. Wether you decide to toss your hat into the solar arena, jump on the solar band wagon, jump into the solar pond or join the green team, now is the time!

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Rich L.
    Options
    Thanks Bob!

Thanks for the encouragement Bob! Sometimes I need that little push to move off center! Maybe I could come study under a master? ;)

One more info source, May's PM magazine just arrived. It has a great section devoted to solar in the center.

Best regards, Rich L
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,088
    Options
    ....Not aeshetically pleasing............................

to the eye. Architectural review boards. We have worked on a few with my pal, Jimmy the Gent Burke of Comfort Zone(eastern Long Island). It really depends on the locality. The tighter density of population PLUS villages = not a good chance, but one has to take it on an individual basis. I've read Tom Lane's book, every magazine article I can and get Solar Today as rec'd by Hot Rod. The only time you REALLY learn is when you do something...you know that. Start small....own house first. If I hear of any classes, I'll let you guys know. Keith, We do have a Lic. Elect who is doing these if you need the number. Mad Dog

• Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Go Get Em Rich!

Call or E-Mail any time, or stop by if your in the neighborhood to go over my systems.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Dave Jahnke
    Dave Jahnke Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Great Source

A great source that I have used is www.solarenergy.org. They have online courses, books, solar pathfinders, and 5 days of hands on training if you feel adventurous. Hope this helps.
  • Rich L.
    Options
    Bob,

Thank you for the generous invite! Even though I'm in Iowa I'd love to! Just not sure when I could make that happen. Doubt I could get the boss to spring for that as a training trip, though I'm sure it would be one of the best ones I've been on!

I'm definitely going to go this direction, starting with my own house of course. It'll be an interesting combo - water to water geo, radiant floors, forced air hydronic cooling and solar. I'll have the greenest house in town! (Very small town BTW) ;) I probably should start a new thread for this but anybody have any suggestions for controlling an arrangement like that? It would be nice to have one main controller to oversee everything. I already have a control unit doing the geo floor and air handler. Guess I could just add a solor control to that. Be nice if it had a outdoor sensor so if it's warm enough out it wouldn't allow heat to transfer to the buffer tank I'm cooling with the geo!

Thanks again for the encouragement Bob, I'll keep your e-mail and phone # handy!

All the best, Rich L
  • Diciocco
    Diciocco Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Solar

Wales Darby just had an introduction course here in Jersey.
    Gerry (Wagner) said there would be more...
This discussion has been closed.