Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This is scary (Steamhead)

Options
my camera batteries died so I couldn't get any more.

There is a panned-joist return duct that comes into the top of the boiler closet, from a single grille in the living room. There is evidence that the chimney might have been reversing when the bi-fold doors were closed and the fan came on.

The boiler was making about 350 PPM COaf. That's fixed now, and I referred the ductwork to an A/C contractor we know. We'll have to pull the water heater and move some pipes before he can work in there.

In the meantime, the bi-fold doors stay open.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Mark Hunt_4
    Mark Hunt_4 Member Posts: 68
    Options
    Looks very familiar

I ran into a job almost exactly like that last year. Furnace, water heater AND the clothes dryer in the same closet. The filter was exactly like your photo shows.

The elderly woman that lives in the house said she hated the heating system because it gave her headaches.

Amazing what some people think is "OK".

Mark H
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Ya gotta think.....

What on Gods green earth makes people take the appliances that will make them comfortable, in their largest investment in life....and cram them in a space that will guarantee they cannot and will not be able to be serviced? Good catch Steamhead. The installer of that airhandler needs a huge DOPESLAP! Chris
  • Tim_41
    Tim_41 Member Posts: 153
    Options
    minimum size

I would like to see a minimum size mechanical room code for homes that have no basement. I've had service calls that should take 30minutes but take half a day because of things like this.So many people say they don't want to give up the space. And they always pay for it in the long run.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    This one

is actually in a partly-finished basement. You can't tell from the pic, but the boiler feeds a one-pipe counterflow steam system.

It was like that when the lady bought the house, and I doubt it was ever inspected.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White_185
    Brad White_185 Member Posts: 265
    Options
    They have those

in San Quentin, CA and Rawlins, WY plus a few more state prisons.

Very effective.
This discussion has been closed.