Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best CO Detectors - where to buy?

Options
Maine Doug_74
Maine Doug_74 Member Posts: 27
It was a play on Jim's double post oops and his sentence "we have to qualify you before they can be purchased". Maybe the joke was too far out, must be the heat.

Comments

• Patchogue Phil_32
    Patchogue Phil_32 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Where can I buy (online) either the National Comfort Institute or CO Experts residential CO detectors??
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    Options

You can go to COExperts and they will sell to about anyone if you pretend you are a contractor, doctor, fireman, doctor, manufacturer, nurse, etc.

Unless you are a current NCI listed contractor we have to qualify you before they can be purchased. As you can see by the postings on "CO Help" there are those that have no clue how to find a CO problem or venting problem correctly and will end up wanting to return the alarm because it is too sensitive. You are welcome to call for more information.
  • Jim Davis_3
    Options

whoops!
  • Maine Doug_74
    Options
    Careful there Jim,

you will have to be qualified to post. TeHeHe.
  • Patchogue Phil_32
    Options

Guess I missed the joke?
  • Patchogue Phil_32
    Options

Ah, OK... makes sense now!

BTW, aside from "stretching the truth".... is there a verbal evaluation to prove I'm not an idiot and then I would be allowed to buy one of these special CO detectors?

• Ken Field
    Ken Field Member Posts: 127
    Options

Our company is certified by NCI and we stock the units. Usually we only install them for our own customers but there have been exceptions. Other local techs have gotten their own personal detectors from us. Safety is the first concern. Knowing what to do when the alarm goes off is next depending on the CO level.

Ken

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Davis_3
    Options

Don't care if you are an idiot because that could disqualify me. Just need to verify you have a CO analyzer and know how to use it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    CO Experts detector on line purchase

As someone who has read The Wall and its predecessors for a decade, I felt competent to purchase, install and properly interpret the readings and alarm of a CO Experts detector without help from a contractor. I bought it on line at the following site:

http://www.aeromedix.com/product-exec/parent_id/1/category_id/7/product_id/1342/nm/CO_Experts_Model_1070

I've even followed everyone's advice to replace it when the chemical sensor is no longer considered reliable after five years, purchasing a second unit this January. Many thanks to those here who educated me in 2003, which is when my old Nighthawk was discarded for the first CO Experts unit.
  • Patchogue Phil_32
    Options
    Hmmmmmm

Why not sell to the general public without prequalifying?

Just might save a bunch of people from lower level CO slow poisoning.

At present, it *seems* that the only people "saved" from low level CO are those willing to spend the higher costs of paying for the unit and paying for the inspection by certififed installers.

• Maine Doug_74
    Options
    This probably goes

back to the reason than the Joe Sixpack style of detector in a store near you does not work at low levels. Too many complaints from people and fire departments of "false" alarms. So those units are made to work only at higher concentrations and longer exposure times and reduce the returns from customers that prefer to live with low dose CO.
  • Jim Davis_3
    Options
    Wish we could, but

A low level alarm goes off at 15ppm. Don't need to call 911, don't need the gas company but you need someone that can figure out what is wrong. Because CO problems can be intermittent as far as ambient levels it can be hard to find the source unless you know all the senarios and symptoms of mechacical deficiencies and know how to detect them. The number one problem with alarms today at any level is that very few people can really define the actual problem unless they are properly trained. Many problem don't get fixed, just covered up.

I get totally ticked off when I read that there was a carbon monoxide leak!!! There isn't a leak, there is a venting problem or a mechanical problem. If CO alarm call have doubled with alarms that don't go off until they hit 70ppm for several hours, how much would they increase if all alarms went off at 15ppm? Someone would figure out how to pass a law that would not allow them to exist because they would be creating too much of a nuisance. Therefore to keep them off the endangered species list we have to control their distribution.
  • Maine Doug_74
    Options
    Perhaps we could apply

a similar logic to alcohol consumption. If you are too stupid to figure out that drinking and driving might be an inconvience to the people you killed while driving, we should limit the availability of the product to you.

>>>>Someone would figure out how to pass a law that would not allow them to exist because they would be creating too much of a nuisance.<<<<

I suppose that a similar law would be creatively designed to get around the 'You Are Too Stupid To Drink' law.

Question: Is there a 50 question test one takes to purchase low level CO detectors?
This discussion has been closed.