Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Canadian fuel prices!

Options
UniR_3
UniR_3 Member Posts: 22
In Montreal diesel is $1.54-5 a litre.

That's $5.85 a gallon in a large port city that even has I believe 4 oil refineries?

Comments

• Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    Options
    WOW!

3 weeks ago - on my way to northern Alberta I paid $1.099/liter (diesel), this week its $1.299/liter; which is $4.91 USG or $5.90 Cdn gal. WOW! And on reading other threads on fuel costs, reducing expenses etc I thought I would rattle a few numbers specifically looking at fuel costs and other operational costs for the service truck. Considering where I go and when (year round trips to the north in the harshest conditions), and the gear I pack - it boils down to this: I need a 4x4 one ton that gets 36 mpg. Let me qualify that by saying the current truck is paid for, any change in vehicle would add additional costs of lease or purchase and the resulting increase in operating costs. A Smart car - even with the fancy bins does not do me much good. Currently my 5.9 cummins gets 18 mpg on the highway - driving sanely. That's about $24/hour fuel costs - which means I have to revisit my trip charges.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Glen, Alaskan diesel running higher every day..

yesterday on the way home from rolling 1200 lineal feet of pex i rolled up to the gas station..well it was 4.44 last week it is 4.97 now..

we have to quit making the fuel oil companies habby and start a heavy campaign to educate all high school students on how to change out circ 's burners and lowering mixed water temps.*~/:)
  • Glen
    Options
    a little to your east -

in both NWT and Nunavut - I paid $2.25/liter earlier this winter. Have heard recently its about $2.50/liter. Heck - it cost me 20 bucks to fill up the goldwing the other day. I think this may kick the sh~*/t out of the tourist trade this summer. If this continues we will have to charge more for fuel costs than actually putting in Hepex!
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    The most EYE OPENING thing that i have done lately...

was a pricing on some materials..usually i feel relatively secure in a proposal...however i thought 'Hmmm....i wonder how this is effecting our ability to make fair close to the vest round to it bids..'

Well WHEWS!

the last couple months have changed our pricing like you would not believe!

i would recommend to everyone in our industry to stop in and run through a list of parts and pieces right quick...

do not repeat this buh a buddy went in to a local wholesaler and was astounded at the price of a 3 section with burner...

the sales man said "Well, you have a choice, one boiler ready to roll or one roll of 1 1/2 soft copper.."
  • Maine Doug_74
    Maine Doug_74 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    In days of old

I drove thru the middle of that sprawling complex to get to my Uncle's house for Expo. It is an immense collection of pipes and tanks and columns and flares. At dusk it was almost scarry, especially if there was a bit of fog when all the flares were busy burning off gas. The whole place seemed to close in on you. And stink. If one could wring the stink out of the air and car it might be good for a few more miles per gal.

Gas was dirt cheap.
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 287
    Options
    Gas

Gas went up 13 cents overnight in Montreal, to $1.43/L for regular. That $5.72/gallon US or Cdn, it makes no difference. I need premium for both truck and car. That makes it $1.53/L or $6.12/ gallon. That is some $2.33 more expensive than any premium that I purchased in New England last week!
    There is only one refinery that is working in Montreal, that is Petrocanada. Near Quebec, there is Ultramar. Our problem in Canada, is that we have so so few refiners, a handfull compared to the US. Therefore, there is no competiton.

It is now costing substantialy more to drive here than my 5 weeks in Europe! I also did double the milage at twice our highway speed limits!
  • Glen
    Options
    don't forget

the US gallon is smaller, so conversion into a cdn gallon is 6.50 gal. USG = 3.78 liters while CdnG = 4.54 liters. Still a big WOW!
This discussion has been closed.