Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The dodge dealer

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
100,000 miles at 20 mpg= 5000 gallons of diesel X 4.00= $20,000.00

with gas at 15 mpg= 6666 gallons x $3.75= $24,999.00

So a lot depends on how many miles you plan on driving and the bigger unknown regarding fuel cost difference.

My experience with the long tall Sprinter is 21- 22 MPG. I'm guessing gas would be 5 or so mpg less?

I believe the diesel engine upgrade cost runs 5- 7K from brand to brand of truck.

So it seems you need to run in excess of 100K just to offset the engine cost difference. I have heard stories of 300K plus from that Mercedes diesel engine in the Sprinter?

My dealer tells me truckers are jumping out of 18 wheelers and into Sprinters for both mileage costs and CDL hour requirements

hr
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• chris_95
    chris_95 Member Posts: 47
    The Dodge Dealer..Sprinter

Are all the dodge sprinters still living up to thier diesal mileage? Or is the price increase of diesal and it's maintenance no longer worth it? Would you get the diesal again. Just about 5 bucks a gallon it NYC. The stated milage from the dealer for the 08 and 07 are only 2 miles more mpg for the diesal.So are you guys still loving the diesal.It's time for a new one and was just looking for some more input ..... thanks
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    My sprinter seems to be getting

better gas mileage than the truck it replaced one year ago. At the point of the change over the gas bill on that truck (its replacement with the same operator) dropped from the mid $400.00's to mid $200's per month for fuel.

Just recently has the fuel bill started to creep up. Bu also has the fuel bill on the other truck that is gas.

My big issue is that the dealer Boch, had bought this dealership and closed it for a high end car dealership. The nearest Chrysler dealer can only work on the lightest sprinters and has limited ability at that. The other dealers are two far away for factory maintenance.

Fortunately we have needed little factory work. I may buy another.

Like natural gas will catch up to fuel oi, so will gas with diesel.

Mitch S,

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Sprinters, looking at my 4th one

Been pondering the mpg difference vs the cost of fuel & vehicle cost but still seems to pencil I think?????
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Tim_41
    Tim_41 Member Posts: 153
    sprinter

My 2006 dual wheel sprinter has had a jump in fuel milege. I think after 24,000 miles, it was finally broken in motor wise. I get between 23 and 25 mpg using 0w mobil syn in the engine. I just changed it for the summer run and tried 15w oil. The mpg dropped just alittle. This is the second oil change. I go by the ecu and how many miles left before the next one. Very low maitenece so far. My ford desiel had one problem after another. I would get another. Its very manuveble and tows very well.
  • carter_3
    carter_3 Member Posts: 23
    06 sprinters

The 2006 Sprinters had better diesel milage. 25 mpg was the norm it had less horsepower.Latest milage bulletin from dodge was 19 mpg diesel (for the 07 and 08 ) 16 mpg gas.
    Then loaded with the same 1500 pound payload it was 18mpg and 15 mpg respectevly.The diesel is about 5000 more with the block heater ,heard that they were reccomended.Leaning toward the gas engine and use the price difference for much needed bins shelving and partion.Thanks for the input.
    Is anyone getting over 20mpg with a 2008 or 2007 Diesel.The dealer tells you that they do but none of there papers prove it.Still it seems like a great truck
  • hot_rod

on my last tank full traveling between Milwaukee and Springfield 65-75 mph. plenty of head and side wind also.

2008 model 2500 long wheelbase tall roof version, empty cargo bay.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    dp

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    and LP prices here

are at 2.00 per gallon. A contractor friend in Kansas bought some pre-buy at 1.68 a few weeks back!

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Bruce_26
    Bruce_26 Member Posts: 27
    Freightliner Sprinter

You might want to look at the Freightliner Sprinter as opposed to the Dodge Sprinter. Mercedes-Benz owns Freightliner and you can cut out the middleman by buying from Freightliner. They also offer more models.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    My 07 Sprinter gets appx 18-19mpg, my gas vans

get appx 10-12 mpg at best.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    We get

20-21MPG every tank with our 04 Sprinter, medium length, high roof. Every tank. All short trips or a couple long ones may vary that by a 1/2mpg. We use Mobil Delvac synthetic in 15W40 in summer and 0W30 in winter. It's what my mechanic recommends. The synthetic made an honest 1.5mpg difference. After sending in some oil samples for analysis we settled on changing the oil every 9,000. He has two customers who run expiditing type routs and are crowding 500K miles with no major engine repair or failures. Just a note on oil, regular Mobil 1 synthetic is not rated for diesel service.

My brother just bought an 08 diesel with a long box and a little reefer unit on it for delivering jerky across the straits to the UP. It only has 4K on it and they're getting mid 15's. They typically have about 1500 lbs of meat in it when traveling.
This discussion has been closed.