Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PV Panel recommendation needed

Options
jp_2
jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
i have been using some 15 watt panels from
northerntool.com they are under $100, ridgid and seem ok.

Comments

• Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Laing Circ

I am completing a working solar display that features a Laing D5-710B circulator. This little DC pump will operate from 1-20 watts.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a PV panel that will power this lil' gem. Cost vs function is always a factor, meaning, I don't need 1.21 jigawatts of power for a Delorean so a small competively priced panel is what I am after.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

PR
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Panels

Since it's a demo, you could almost use one of those folding camping solar panels for that. You could probably find something less expensive, but when the solar display is not in use the collector might be useful elsewhere. Plus it's easy to store.
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Looking at Sunwize and AEE panel

and I wanted something with a ridgid frame. That is a something to keep in mind though. Thanks.
    Regards,

PR
  • Paul B_5
    Paul B_5 Member Posts: 60
    Options

Hi Paul : I've been using a 18 watt solarex panel to run my solar pump now for over 9 years. Please pick whatever BUT stay away from a cheaper amorphous panel as it is simply not good value in the long run at all. Good choice on the pump,by the way I'd love to try one or better yet switch over to one..Paul
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    20W Kyocera

is what I have used on a few D5 solar Laings. A solar pro in NM told me they switched to 30W for a little extra fizz on low sun conditions.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Paul B_5
    Options

Hot rod : as you have stated in your own words regarding solar and energy in general that there is not enough available BTU's in the low light and its running unneccesarily for no/low heat. I think I would size the panel accordingly and forget the extra Zip as this other guy is doing. for the above reason. Otherwize a PV pump is the way to go. ,A nice smooth curve similar to a ECM or Freq. drive . Paul
  • Paul B_5
    Options

Hot rod : as you have stated in your own words regarding solar and energy in general that there is not enough available BTU's in the low light and its running unneccesarily for no/low heat. I think I would size the panel accordingly and forget the extra Zip as this other guy is doing. for the above reason. Otherwize a PV pump is the way to go. ,A nice smooth curve similar to a ECM or Freq. drive . Paul
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Good point, Paul

I also feel a differential control should be used on PV powered systems to prevent sending energy the wrong direction, in some cases.

I believe they switched to 30W panels for additional starting torque? Or maybe because they have gone to the D-5 Strong version due to some issues with the D-5 solar?

Although my Laing D5 solar seems to work just fine with 20W and the Artec Dc controller.

www.arttecsolar.com
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.