Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

When they tell you not to leave the blue tape on too long ....

Options
bovide_4
bovide_4 Member Posts: 161
will bleed through. Don't ask me how I know.
Now I know to use the heavy tape and to remove immediately after staining.

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    DON'T leave the blue tape on too long ...

OMG ..I did some varnishing on my boat, the toe rail. I did a great job but it took me about a week to get on four coats. The guys at the boat yard said " don't leave that blue tap eon too long, its a **** to get off ".

I tried a small section ... seem to come off all right.

THAT WAS THE ONLY SECTION. Two thirty foot sides and it comes off in two inch torn pieces.

AAAAGGAGAGAGGAGGGGGGG..

I finally soaked it with fingernail remover and it came off. Wish I thought of that before I tore off that much.

AGAAGGGGGG

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    I feel.....

your pain! I did the same thing a few years back except I used plain old masking tape. (At the time I wasn't aware of the easy release stuff.)

It sat in the sun for about two weeks! Coincidentally I think it took me about two weeks to get it all off!

Wish I'd thought of nail polish remover :(

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    WD-40 works as well...

DOn't ask how I came by thqat knowledge...

ME
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Guiness.....

has nothing to do with it.....or does it?

Hopping mad so I can Barley hear you,

PR
  • John_206
    John_206 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Next time

(if you're going to let it sit for a while), there are various grades of blue tape - the least adhesive is hard to find 'though. The big boxes around here seem to stock the medium-to-most adhesive.

Another product (real low adhesion) is Loparex Easy release painters tap. Don't know the stock number - it's off white with blue printing. Problem with this stuff is it is really TOO low adhesion.

Also, keep the tape in the cool dark - the stuff seems to spoil pretty fast in sub-optimal conditions.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,988
    Options
    used it on a wood floor to encapsulate an area with plastic

It would have been fine for the few days we needed it up....however, trying to be the nice guy, we left it up so that painters wouldn't have to reset one up. Long/short, it stayed down for around 3 weeks...it took the finsh right off the old floors. The contractor of course blamed us, even though we were trying to help them out AND!!!!! we had got him on that job - ingrate! Lesson: no good deed goes unpunished AND don't ever leave ANY tape down too long. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    In Misery

there is company.

I feel a little better knowing I am not alone :)

I hope the wife likes her nail color cause .... there's none left :)

Scott

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    So next weekend....

Cocktail Cove AT Misery.....bring her a bottle to replace it.All will be forgiven. JCA
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Yep, only leave that blue tape in place for a few days at most, and probably never more than a day if outside in the sun. Watch out with nail polish remover (acetone) as it can harm plastics and some paint. As ME suggested, WD-40 will remove without much risk of damage, but it will permanently [it seems] add gloss to flat wall paint (ask me how I know that one...)

This discussion has been closed.