Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

panel rad noise

Options
Dan C._4
Dan C._4 Member Posts: 70
no trv

Comments

• Dan C._4
    Options
    buderus panel rad noise.

I have a buderus panel radiator that is 5' long 41/2" wide on it's own zone. There is 70 feet of 1/2" pex total supply and return with a taco 005. Whenever the heat is on for that zone the radaiator makes a hissing sound. The only thing I can think of is that the pump is too big. Has anyone run into this before?
  • kpc_20
    kpc_20 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    I have a bunch...

of them. I do hear a sound...water moving through, when they run but it is not what I would call hissing. Do you have a TRV on it?
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Yes, too high of water flow

Have you tried opening the balancing collar on valve. If not all the way open this will contribute to excessive sound. Otherwise pipe a bypass or throttle down outlet valve of pump. Good luck
  • Josh M.
    Josh M. Member Posts: 360
    Options

I agree Tim.

Does it hiss when other panel rads are off? Maybe a missing differential pressure by-pass.

What other loads are on that pump circuit if any?
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    I'd Bet

The flow setter is not all the way open. Set it on N

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dan C._4
    Options

Hissing sound is probably not a good explanation on my part. I'm not sure how to describe the noise.
  • Dan C._4
    Options

There are no other panel rads. The rest of the house is CI BB. The pump is used only for this zone
  • Josh M.
    Options

Ray,

Is the rad the only one on the circuit? If so the pump is WAY to big..

I think we know what the noise is. Buderus rads seem to resonate when it comes to velocity noise. Anything over 1 gpm through them can be noisy.
  • Josh M.
    Options

Ray you may need to install a differential pressure bypass even though the circuit has only one rad. The pump is just way too big for the rad. Unfortunately it's one of the smallest pumps available. Another option may be to install a variable speed controller.

You can prove my assumption by pinching down a ball valve downstream of the pump. If the rad stops sounding like a waterfall you have proven my point.
  • Dan C._4
    Options
    ok

thanks for all the help. I will try that. It makes sense
  • Unknown
    Options

I believe being told that 2 gpm was the maximum flow rate for an individual panel rad.

hardly a stock item but maybe a grunfoss 15-10 would do the trick, only 25 watts from what I remember.
  • Josh M.
    Options

That's what I heard too but in reality I can hear anything over 1 GPM. And you know if I can hear it, it sounds like a freight train to a HO.
This discussion has been closed.