Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it possible to replace oil burner with gas burner

Options
Eric Masson
Eric Masson Member Posts: 4
With the rising costs of oil, I'm wondering if it's possible to replace my Beckett model AFG burner with a gas burner. Can this be done, and beyond replacing the burner, are there any other gotchas?

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    It's possible

but whether or not it's a good idea is another story. What type of boiler do you have? How fast is your local gas monopoly raising their prices?

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Eric Masson
    Eric Masson Member Posts: 4
    Options

At this point I'm not sure whether or not it would be cost effective, I do understand that oil is more efficient than gas in terms of BTUs. I have a Vaillant boiler, not sure what model. I'm just trying to determine if it can be done.
  • lownox
    lownox Member Posts: 12
    Options

Yes, it can be done. Expect about a 2% reduction in thermal efficiency by going to gas in lieu of oil. Could be higher... depends on the boiler.
  • Charlie Masone
    Charlie Masone Member Posts: 66
    Options

The Vaillant is a tough boiler to fire I would be cautious about trying it on this one
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    Sometimes it's not safe

And, it's never cheap, the unsafe part is some boilers don't natural draft so the mfg. doesn't allow gas conversions. I would make sure the mfg. approved the switch, some do some don't. To convert in Wisc. you need electronic ign. and an elect. vent damper added, this plus labor plus the burner, vent pipe, chimney clean... puts you well over $1000. To save $ first have your oil unit cleaned and set up by a pro. then check your usuage and make a payback calc.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    You would need

a burner that can fire a positive-pressure boiler. The only one I know of is the HeatWise SU-2A.

It might make more sense to tighten the house up first- insulation, new windows etc- if you haven't already.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.