Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant floor and ceiling

Options
two sets?

not sure what you mean. if this is all that is on the manifold, you can have actuators only on the ceiling loops. then they only get flow when stage two activates.

Comments

• Todd S_8
    Todd S_8 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Combining radiant floor and ceiling

I am working on a job that due to 13'6" ceiling heights and old construction, will require supplemental radiant panel in ceiling to meet design conditions.

We are planning on Quicktrak/Woodfloors and single groove emission plates/sheetrock for the ceiling. The problem is that we are trying to run off the same manifold but the water temps are 109-floor 135-ceiling. Can I simply spilt the difference and make this the same temp?
    Should I make it two stage with ceiling as second stage or leave them both to come on together?

Curious to your thoughts - Thanks

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Floors and Ceilings

I have 3 rooms with floors and ceilings radiant. Running 115* to both. 135* sounds a little high but my ceilings are only 8'. I would split the difference for simplicity sake, and give a little warmer floor.

JMHO Gordy
  • Todd S_8
    Options
    Water temp

I know the max surface temp for wood floors, but how does that translate to actual water temp? I don't have a chart showing this?

I thought the ceiling temp seemed a bit high, but being as tall as it is, I'm not expecting a problem - or should I be?
  • zeke
    zeke Member Posts: 223
    Options

Very inefficient heating of ceiling at 13 feet. Heat stratification will be very pronounced, but the diminished radiant effect at that distance would allow high temperatures there.

The effect of the radiant component for your ceiling is about 20% that of the floor for the same temperature. However if the temperature there is 150 vs 110 at the floor, the effect would be comparable on average, but vary over the position in the room, the maximum at the center,
  • Gordy
    Options
    some questions

Is the ceiling flat, tray or cathedral. There will be some performance differences between the styles.

Is the ceiling supplementing the floor output, or vice versa?

Gordy
  • Gordy
    Options

Zeke are you saying 20% less effective thsn floor because of the height?

Gordy
  • zeke
    zeke Member Posts: 223
    Options

Yes, at 13 feet ceiling height. At the normal 8 feet it would be considerably better.
    Just noticed your question. NOT 20% LESS , but 20% OF the radiant component for the same temps.
  • Todd S_8
    Options
    questions

I think the ceiling is flat (not sure what tray is).

The ceiling is supplementing the floor.
  • Unknown
    Options

two stage.

make sure the ceiling will meet the supplemental load at the water temperature you max out the quik trak out (though drywall ceilings are supposed to max out at 120 degrees).

might be a better application for a panel radiator.
  • Todd S_8
    Options
    Two Stage

So two sets of actuators on the manifold? I would like to have them use radiators, but I think the architecture won't allow it. They are renting for over 200/sqft so radiators cost square footage.
  • Tim Doran_4
    Tim Doran_4 Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Be careful

When doing radiant floor and cieling the calculations change a great deal. Two opposed surfaces tend to cancel one another out in terms of infrared exchange, convection currents stop and total btu's can fall off considerably. Radiant output is heavily driven by the average uncontrolled surface temperature and the view factors of the various surfaces.

Tim D.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,545
    Options

150 F is considered to high!,the surface temperature should also be restricted .

Check the design book from Wirsbo. I've done a system that needed a lower temp so I 3 way valved it off of the floor with a strap on Bulb type stat. works great.

Have you thought about Radiant walls?
  • Unknown
    Options

interesting. so if I heat all six faces of a cube, it'll freeze? ;)
  • Tim Doran_4
    Tim Doran_4 Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Hope not

But the amount of radiant energy emmitted will be greatly reduced as it is dependant on the differential between the surfaces. In other words, objects of an equal temperature can not exchange heat.

Tim D.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Todd S_8
    Options
    Options

I am going to suggest radiant walls or panel rads. May not be a possibilty if the architect doesn't like though.

I don't plan on running 150deg water. The ceiling was calculated at 135 and the floor at 109.

Again, I do appreciate all the input/feedback on this question as it is sort of unusual for me.
This discussion has been closed.