Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help themselves to free copper!

Options
Josh M.
Josh M. Member Posts: 360
I hereby nominate these guys for this years Darwin awards.

Comments

• amhplumb_2
    amhplumb_2 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    \"free scrap copper1\"

Helping themselves to "free scrap copper!" What were these guys thinking! They are lucky they were not killed. check it out http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08136/882096-100.stm
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

i quess they would do that again
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    unfortunately

You can't be a Darwin awards candidate unless you're killed or otherwise rendered incapable of having offspring.

Maybe an honorable mention?
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    Speaking of Darwin Awards.........

You truly can't make stuff like this up.

http://www.darwinawards.com/slush/new/pending20080421-161338.html
  • Evil lution
    Evil lution Member Posts: 14
    Options
    City of Fife in Washington

This kind of stuff is happening everywhere. Washington has passed a law that if you are not a licensed contractor you must wait 2 weeks after dropping off your scrap befor you can recieve payment if the amount is more than $30.00. It's a good deterant but now the theives sre stealing from here and going to Oregon and Idaho to sell the stolen scrap. What's next?
  • Brad White_185
    Brad White_185 Member Posts: 265
    Options
    MI Cable

MI= Metallic Insulated, not Michigan by the way.

You know the stuff- used to run high voltage without conduit, often in life-safety systems...

The outside sheath is soft-temper copper, with a mineral barrier around the conductive copper core.

Some years back, during a copper price spike, some nimrod ignored the "480V" and "13800V" labels at a Boston public housing project. (What does "V" stand for? Valuable?).

Cutting into it with a pipe cutter while standing on a water pipe, our "Flash Gordon" went out in a blaze of glory I am sure.

This fortunately coincided with the invention of the Dust-Buster, so the story is not entirely a sad one :)
  • Chap
    Chap Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Here's something bizarre!

Some Darwin award winner near here was electrocuted while trying to steal copper electric train conductors. I put "copper theft + electrocution" into Google thinking I'd find the link & came up with links all across the US detailing idiots getting electrocuted while stealing copper!
  • amhplumb_2
    amhplumb_2 Member Posts: 62
    Options

Here in our area, scrap dealers are supposed to see photo identification prior to buying scrap and they are supposed to keep the information on file. I can't say that it's working though! A couple of weeks ago, A few hundred bronze vases were stolen and scrapped! No mention of tracing the thieves from the ID records!!!!!
  • Boston_2
    Boston_2 Member Posts: 107
    Options
    HV vs IQ

About 6 yrs ago by me 3 mokes took a alum ladder and playtex gloves and went to cut down the Alclad wire which is 7kv to ground. Did not turn out well the hi wire guy got hurt bad and the bottom guy managed to crawl off but did not call 911. 3 hours later they find the one because of the outage and the other at a ER. Both survived and tried to sue the utlity. Go figure.
This discussion has been closed.