Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Antique? Hoffman Water Heater

Options
Steve Garson_5
Steve Garson_5 Member Posts: 11
Well folks this is too funny I am down here in texas and I have a Hoffman heater as well, Mine is #40 and has a serial#19591 a very akward color of green but as his very nicely decorated . If we can find out some info. It sure would help when the folks come into our shop and you beet it will strike a conversation.
acure562

Comments

• GEORGE_38
    GEORGE_38 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Antique? Hoffman Water Heater

The plumbing company I work for has been in business a very long time. Recently, when we cleaned out an old back room (it was the lead fabrication shop), we discovered an old tankless gas water heater. No one knows the origin or time frame. I am looking for info. to determine just what we have.Cleaned up, it's quite a conversation piece. Hoffman Heater Company, Loraine Ohio,NO.45,Serial IB5484, About 36"tall and 14"diameter
    acure562
  • Al Letellier_24
    Al Letellier_24 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    antique heater

Have a former customer (I'm done with the tools) that has one installed on his Montgomery Ward steam boiler....heater is not in use but still there. Can you post a photo. The one here was installed in approx.1938
    acure562
  • GEORGE_38
    Options

• GEORGE_38
    Options

I'LL BRING CAMERA TOMORROW AND POST PICTURE. IN YOUR APPLICATION, WAS IT USED TO PREHEAT FOR BOILER? I THOUGHT THIS WAS JUST AN OLD WATER HEATER FOR DOMESTIC USE. IT LOOKS ALMOST LIKE A PIECE OF FURNITURE WITH THE ORNATE SCROLL WORK ON THE CAST IRON FRONT.
  • JD_10
    JD_10 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hoffman Water Heater

When my parents bought a home right after WWII it had a Hoffman Water Heater in it...also other relatives had same heater in their basement. I am from Lorain and was surprised to see that this is where the heater was manufactured. It was quite something at that time to have a tankless heater, and the heater wasn't without it's challenges as the water could be overheated and get to a scalding temperature. The heater resembled a small wood burning stove but was fueled by natural gas...the house my parents had bought was probably a turn of the 20th century home, making the heater quite old and very much an item of interest to have....
    acure562
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Options
    I've got...

... a file on Hoffman heaters, but couldn't find #45. I found 40 and 50 and lots of others. A photo would be good ;~)

Yours, Larry
    acure562
  • GEORGE_38
    Options

• GEORGE_38
    Options

• GEORGE_38
    Options

• GEORGE_38
    Options

This is it.See attachment.
    I would like like to make a small plaque and at least have a date of manufacture if possible
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    Nice heater!

That's a pretty heater ;~) It has a sort of nouveau look; I'll guess mid twenties to 1930. The brass goodie on the side is a "water motor", essentially a piston that is moved by flowing water to push open the gas valve. It looks like someone spent some time cleaning it up. For fun, go have a look at some heaters: http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/whh/pages/water-heater-museum-home.html

Yours, Larry

ps. I looked bit more and found this. The booklet is dated 11-27.
    acure562
  • GEORGE_38
    Options

Hey Larry, thanks for the picture. Is that from a Hoffman catalogue dated November 1927 or some other publication? Is there any way i could get a copy of the catalogue? Would you consider selling that catalogue?
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    hoffman

Nope. Was used to heat domestic hot water. Tied into a range boiler tank....monel.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    catalog

Hello: Yes it is a little Hoffman catalog. I'd like to hold onto it, but with the quality of color copies these days, it's possible to get a nice resemblance.

Yours. Larry
    acure562
This discussion has been closed.