Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

in-joist heating prices compare to in floor?

Options
Jim_65
Jim_65 Member Posts: 184
I tend to disagree that an under-floor with plate method would be less expensive to install than a staple down method on top of the sub-floor. I wouldn't even consider doing a staple-up without plates. That may be a less expensive method to install but would require far greater water temperatures to operate.

In addition, it is very difficult to ballpark any system with square footage pricing. A 1,000 sq. ft. project will be quite a bit different in sq. ftg. cost than a 10,000 sq. ft. project.

IMHO...

Comments

• Rich_46
    Rich_46 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    up to date pricing, infloor, in-joist

Been quite a while since i have had to quote anything really. Looking for average sq foot costs for in floor and in joist heating.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Above or Below

Below subfloor methods are usually significantly less expensive than methods above the subfloor. Right now, the best dry method IMO is 1/2" ThinFin-C fastened with a pneumatic stapler, although there is the possibility of using graphite sheet which may also work well and be lower priced.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Mine, too

A staple-up "suspended" application with good transfer plates usually costs more to install than an above-floor system. I have found that using the Climate Panel or QuickTrak above floor has similar costs. Every contractor will have different rates for calculating overhead, labor and profit. There simply is no easy way to compare sq. foot costs.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ALH_4
    Options
    Oops

Good point. I should have qualified my statements. For some reason I was talking only about dry systems. Staple-down is always the least expensive in terms of the heating contractor's costs. Add in the other costs associated with gyp installs and it's not necessarily less expensive than an under-floor fin install, depending on the size and specifics of each job.

ThinFin-C can be installed pretty quickly with the proper tools and experienced installers. And the installation generally does not affect other trades, which I see as a significant benefit to below subfloor installation.
  • Rich_46
    Options

the only reason we are going in joist is to save the hardwood flooring above, and yes course there are a tonne of nails that have to be avoided. oh well when i give them the estimate i will make sure they know that an estimate is an estimate.
  • hootananny
    hootananny Member Posts: 8
    Options
    somthing to put in your estimate

is that "other" will grind all nails to your satisfition.

the hooter
  • steveex
    steveex Member Posts: 95
    Options

I would figure app., $1000.00 a day PLUS labor and materials. Two men can do app. 500 sf of staple up per day. Heat trans plates with 6 inch spaceing on plates and 6 inches on 1/2 inch hose space. Max design temp 150 degrees.
  • Rich_46
    Options

i sure hope so, the problem with that 'other' guy is there is too much "good enough" talk
  • Got a link?

To this thin fin?

;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I thought...

we weren't supposed to discuss pricing here. A grand a day may work for you, but it is about 50% shy of hitting the mark for me, and I am sure others.

Please refrain from asking and quoating prices. It creates a lot of hate and discontent.

Thanks for understanding.

ME
  • Rich_46
    Options

i hate discontent, point taken.
  • Rich_46
    Options
    thinfin?

Link?
  • ALH_4
    Options
    Link

Unfortunately the manufacturer does not have a website, and I cannot find the product on the OEM companies' websites. I know Viega, Rehau, Roth, and Zurn sell similar products under their own names. I believe Viega calls it Climate Track. I am not sure why this product is so difficult to find on the internet.
  • Ron Gillen
    Ron Gillen Member Posts: 124
    Options
    And Uponor Joist Track

Thinfin information was always on line before but I see it currently is not. It's manufactured by Radiant Engineering and their new website is under construction.
  • steveex
    steveex Member Posts: 95
    Options

Easy boys, did not know price is taboo.
  • joe_108
    joe_108 Member Posts: 5
    Options

was anyone used a product call ultra-fin
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Mark, you just mentioned price :)