Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ka-Pow!!!

Options
Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
I had finished a joist trak radiant floor and left it under a pressure test of 80 psi. When I got back I stopped by the job to find the pressure down to zero. I went to find the GC and Homeowner. When they saw me they both knew right away what I was going to ask. You want to know what happened to your system, don't you? Um, yeah. Well the plumber was soldering pipe under the master bath and melted a hole in your tubing. Wow! I said. What happened? Well, we were on the other side of the house and we heard a loud, "Ka-Pow," and then a large whooshing sound. We ran around to find the plumber on the floor next to his ladder looking sheepish. Wow. Is he OK? Yeah. A bit shook up though. Well no problem. A couple of splices and 15 feet of pex and we're all better. Not to mention another torch wielding solder jockey schooled in why to pay attention to those funny looking pipes on the radiant floors. WW

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=255&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Bob Sweet
    Bob Sweet Member Posts: 540
    Options
    Ka Pow is right!

You know the poor guy was already on edge soldering in a crawl space, and than to hear that. My guess is he had to replace that pair of Fruit of the Looms. Imagine he will be paying much closer attention next time.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Actually

not in a crawl space. The bathroom was on the second floor and he was on a ladder below, at least before it happened. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Been there, done that...

and lived to tell about it...

Working on a job where the employer liked to use less skilled labor (spelled WINO's). and they had kinked a 3/4" PEX line coming into the mechanical room. I blew it off thinking I'd put my torch on it later to straigheten out the kink. Late Friday after noon, system already aired up to 100 PSI, as I'm picking up my tools, noticed the kink, fired up the torch and started massaging the kink out of the line, when all of a sudden, it started swelling up like a BALLON. Seems I'd forgotten it was under 100 PSI test...

As I yelled "AW $#!T" and was diving off the ladder, it went KABOOM!!!!. THe carpenter up on the 2nd floor made it to the basement in one step. Asked if I was OK, to which I replied that I was extremely emberassed, but OK.

Been there, done that...

ME
  • Toddid Goldsmith's
    Toddid Goldsmith's Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Ka Pow

I had a 3 section Utica Starfire boiler a while back that was in the Laundry room right next to the drier. You know the whole lint thing.Got the thing brushed and vacuumed,And I thought I would see how that soot spray stuff worked. There was some fly soot on the sections in the fire chamber, so I read the directions, gave it a little shot,fired it off, and watched what happened. Hey this stuff works good. So I gave it another shot, little more this time. Worked great. Boy I was proud of myself. I gave it one more shot, a real good one this time, But what I didn't realize until a little later, when I was at the hospital, when I gave it that good last shot,I had picked up a can of CARBUERATOR cleaner,not soot spray stuff. When you smell flesh burning, Thats Bad, when you smell YOUR OWN flesh burning, Thats rally bad. No reason to be dumb, les ya show it!!!!
This discussion has been closed.