Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What I did last fall - Steam Pics (TGO)

Options
TGO_54
TGO_54 Member Posts: 327
When someone named Steamhead says it's good it must be good.

It ws nice to meet you in Denver, nothing like putting a face to the name.

Thanks

Tom

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=278&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• TGO_54
    Options
    What I did last fall - Steam Pics (TGO)

The room is not done, but I couldn't wait to post the pics any longer. The before shots would have shown a room full of steam from the blown traps. All have been rebuilt or replaced. No more steam in the condensate returns, no more banging in the pipes - just quiet even heat.

My client has lived in the home for over 30 years, and reports that last winter was the most comfortable he and his family have ever been.

Final fuel bills are not in, but it looks like the fuel savings will exceed 40%

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Bob Sweet
    Bob Sweet Member Posts: 540
    Options
    Very nice looking job!!

Hey Tom great looking job can't blame you for wanting to show it off. Hey it was real nice meeting you at wetstock had a nice time talking to you and Pam.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Yes Sir--very nice indeed

I bow down in your direction!! i'd show that off too!! verry very nice workmanship.

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Brad White_185
    Brad White_185 Member Posts: 265
    Options
    That is a HOUSE?

Tom-

That is stellar, crisp, clean workmanship of the highest order! I had no idea.. Very impressive workmanship... I really like the Curvo work at the auto feeder.

The fuel savings alone but now the Owner accolades make for a project hard to top. But somehow, I expect that you will....

I see a Vitola in the background- is that for a separate zone or DHW? What can you tell us about this house? Seems like a classic and will be well-served for years to come.

Always good to see you as I did at Wetstock.
  • TGO_54
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words

Pam and I both enjoyed meeting you, Nancy and everyone else at wetstock.

She was nice enough to give up a Saturday morning to help me start writing up the valve charts and take some pictures. One of the photos was shot by crawling out the window and standing in a widow pit - Pam said if I wouldn't do it she would. My pride and a quicker grab for the ladder beat her to it.

• TGO_54
    Options
    High praise!

From the man who wrote one of the most pratical steam heating books ever. I can't tell you how many times I have refered to your venting quide, we don't have to swap out vents very often anymore - your book puts us right on the money.

Thanks for taking the time to do the research and for sharing it with the world. To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • TGO_54
    Options
    Yup, it's a house

My client wanted 100% redundancy on the heating system.

Each boiler is capable of heating the house on design day. The boiler feed pumps have two independant pumps and each unit can be switched to feed either boiler.

The boilers are controlled with a tekmar 269, and are hi-lo fire. Hi fire matches (pretty closely) the connected load and the pick up. When the system make 14oz pressure it drops to lo fire which matches (pretty closely) the connected load. Very little cycling of the burners, long on time and long off times.

The Viessmann takes care of domestic hot water and two small FHA zones. Tank is maintained at 140 and goes through a anti-scald mixing valve set at 125 to the house.

I attached some additional photos of the Viessmann and curvo work ( I LOVE MY CURVO ) and only wish I could bend tube like the old timers I knew when I was starting out.

Brad - could you e-mail me a mailing address, I want to send you something I think you will enjoy.

Thanks
    Tom

• TGO_54
    Options
    Yup, it's a house

My client wanted 100% redundancy for the heating system.

Their wish is my command ;-)

The boilers are controlled by a tekmar 269 (270 wasn't out yet) and are LO HI fire. The HI fire matches (pretty closely) the connected load plus pick up factor. When the system makes 14oz the burner drops into LO fire which matches (pretty closely) the connected load. Makes for long on/off times and very little short cycling.

The Viessmann supplies the domestic hot water and two small FHA zones (installed before my time) Tank is maintained at 140 (legionella protection) and tempered to 125 before going to the house.

I attached some additional pics of the Viessmann and curvo work (I LOVE MY CURVO) and only wish i could bend like the old timers I worked with when I was getting started.

Brad - could you e-mail me a mailing address? I want to send you some thing I think you will get a kick out of.

Thanks
    Tom

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    nice, very nice

clean, well organized. One for the record books.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • TGO_54
    Options
    Bob, The job would not have been the same

if it weren't for you. I had long ago put away my holtsclaw tubing benders - bending temper copper was no longer available, and the wide radius benders for hard temper just didn't work right.

Then you posted curvo pics and hooked me up with Leo, the old became new again.

Thanks

Tom

• bill_97
    bill_97 Member Posts: 172
    Options
    Opened the first pic

and I thought ..... who put these boilers in an O.R. ?

Tom , that is one of the nicest , cleanest installs I've seen . Seriously , I am in awe . Can you tell us what town this is in ? And how long did the project take ? And are there any before pics ?
  • TGO_54
    Options
    Thanks Ron

For a master like you to be in awe is really something.

The job is in Oyster Bay, yes there are before pics I just have to find them.

The job went just like one of yours, in at 7:30 out at 4:30 - with about a month in between ;-)

See you at the next Big Ugly?

This discussion has been closed.